They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How To Set-up External Hard Drives For Video Editing

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

How To Set-up External Hard Drives For Video Editing

Postby BobWard » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:06 pm

I have now converted all my VHS tapes to DV AVI format and they are stored on an external 1TB hard drive. I have bought a second 1TB external hard drive to edit from.

Having not done this before, I thought I should get some advice before starting my editing. I will be using Vegas Movie Studio 10 HD Platinum Suite.

My question is how to best utilize the two external hard drives in the editing process? Do I just copy all the original DV AVI files to the 2nd hard drive and edit from that drive, thus leaving all my original files on the 1st external drive?

Both drives have eSATA and Firewire connections, in addition to USB.

Bob
BobWard

Re: How To Set-up External Hard Drives For Video Editing

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:14 am

Here's how I do it. It may not be the most efficient but it suits me.

In the case of miniDV tapes I do not re-use them. Instead I label and store them so that I can always go back to the original source if I want to re-edit.

For captured VHS tapes I copy them to a 2Tb disc (F: in my case) that I use for archived VHS material. When I want to edit I copy the file to my edit work disc (E:) and then proceed. As I generally have multiple projects on the go simultaneously, this way I can always easily identify any work in progress as it will be on my E: drive.

Note that it isn't necessary to perform that F: to E: copy. I could just as easily edit the source on the F: drive as the editing process is non-destructive to the source material.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: How To Set-up External Hard Drives For Video Editing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:31 am

And don't forget to format any drive you use for video editing to NTFS!

They come from the factory as FAT32 -- but FAT32 drives have a file size limit that often chokes video work.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Video Editors