They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Exported PE 7 .AVI widescreen is 4:3 in Magix

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Exported PE 7 .AVI widescreen is 4:3 in Magix

Postby Petey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have an issue between exporting DV AVI widescreen from PE 7 and importing it into Magix Pro 15 Plus.
In PE 7, I first create a AVCHD (Full HD 1080i) project, import from my Sony handycam, and then I export the clip as DV NTSC widescreen (.AVI).

Then, I create a new project in Magix (780x480) 16:9, and when I try to import the .avi, it tells me that the aspect ratio is 4:3 and it cuts off my nice AVI widescreen.

Why is it recognizing the exported widescreen AVI as 4:3?

Any ideas to help?

Thanks,

Petey
Petey
New User
New User

Re: Exported PE 7 .AVI widescreen is 4:3 in Magix

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm

I tried the same workflow in pre 8 and MEP 16+ and got the same error. The "Media Info" utility shows that the DV NTSC clip exported from pre is 16:9. That means that MEP is having the problem.

Don't know why Magix is showing it as 4:3, but in Magix to correct it, right-click on the clip on the timeline and select "Object Properties", then select "Aspect Ratio" and use the down-arrow key to select 16:9. The "Aspect Ratio" control has a bug which requires using the up and down arrow keys to select the ratio.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Excellent and very helpful response RJ, great work :)

Welcome to Muvipix Petey :wcm:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Petey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks a million, RJ!!!! I mean it!

How on earth did you know that? I just tested it and your fix works.

I mainly use PE7 but I REALLY like some of those neat video effects (snow, rain, beer, etc....) in Magix and I'm not ready to upgrade to the Adobe Creative Suite (for After Effects) because I'd need a new computer also and I've got tons of other software on my PC and it will be nightmare at this time to change. I did a ukulele video last week and I noticed with misery that aspect ratio problem, when I wanted to use some "rain" effect on my AVI. I, frustrated in the end, rearranged my video to use the smaller 4:3 rain part, and then switch to the 16:9 without the rain. Not what I really wanted to do.

One last question: my workflow is to add effects to the video, and then export it back into AVI format for final editing in PE 7. There are so many AVI exports: Video as AVI, Video as DV AVI, Video as uncompressed AVI, and Video as MotionJPEG.AVI.

Which one should I be using to keep the same quality AVI as I imported, now with some added effects?
I just used the DV AVI export with 16 x9. Just tested it after your fixes and it works. Should I be using a different conversion AVI filter?

Thanks a million!

Petey

@Chuck: Thanks for the welcome!
Petey
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I would stick with DV-AVI. It's the easiest to edit and playback on the timeline and practically lossless for your workflow.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Petey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:40 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I would stick with DV-AVI. It's the easiest to edit and playback on the timeline and practically lossless for your workflow.

Thanks again!!!

Petey
Petey
New User
New User

Return to Video Editors