They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Guidance Video Capture & DVD Authoring

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Guidance Video Capture & DVD Authoring

Postby daboose » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:05 pm

I need some guidance which software to pick. It's been many years since I've done any video editing and DVD authoring; used Pinnacle Liquid Pro 6 ugh!

I need to start capturing video and author many, many DVDs. I have 102 hours of video to capture from SVHS or PDV-184N tapes. :ha:

I'll be using the Grass Valley ADVC110 to capture/output the video from the following players: Panasonic AG1980 and Sony DSR-20.

Typical DVD project:

--DVD MENUS: introduction w/ animated background with text content fading in and out; then followed by the menu.
--DVD CONTENT: typically each DVD will have 3 class room sessions; one hour each; 2.75 hours total each DVD.

I need to invest in new software and wondered how to proceed.

Use Premiere Elements 14 to capture the video and then import the video to DVD Architect Studio? FYI: There will be minimal video editing (if any).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be working on the following>>>

Dell XPS 9100
Window 7 Professional
64-bit O/S
Core i7 CPU; 930@2.80 GHz
12.0GB RAM
2TB (1.0TB free)
AMD Radeon HD 6600 1.0 GB Memory

Thanks for the help!
daboose
New User
New User

Re: Guidance Video Capture & DVD Authoring

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:14 am

I think you've got a good workflow, daboose. In fact, that's been kind of my workflow too for years.

Although Premiere Elements doesn't capture tape-based video at all anymore. So you'll need to capture using the free download WinDV -- but then the captured video will import into a standard definition Premiere Elements project.

I am concerned about your discs being nearly 3 hours each. Unless you're using dual-layer DVDs, that may be too much for DVD Architect to squeeze down to standard DVD disc (which typically holds about half of that -- about 80 minutes -- at full quality).

DVD Architect can reduce quality to squeeze more on a disc, but only to a certain extent.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby daboose » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:24 am

Liquid Pro 6 had no problems with 3 hours of content on a standard DVD. However, I didn't have to use a full quality setting since it's a classroom setting. Plus there was no obvious degradation to the naked eye. I did over 300 hours of DVD's in this manner. Rendering was a beast though!

Unfortunately my dedicated workstation for DVD authoring gave up the ghost years ago and now I want to pick up where I left off with newer technology?

Is there anything out there that captures tape-based video using the ADVC110? Especially the ones you have a guide for?

(BTW, I wasn't able to locate WinDV. I could only locate Corel WinDVD 11.)

I greatly appreciate the help Steve.
daboose
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:34 pm

You can download WINDV from the author's site: WINDV-1.2.3

Liquid Pro 6 had no problems with 3 hours of content on a standard DVD. However, I didn't have to use a full quality setting since it's a classroom setting. Plus there was no obvious degradation to the naked eye. I did over 300 hours of DVD's in this manner. Rendering was a beast though!

It's an issue with the physical capacity of the recording medium. A DVD disk can only hold so much data. To get 300 minutes on a standard dvd you'll need to reduce the bitrate of the content drastically (to about a third of the full quality bitrate). If the image is very static (i.e. talking head), you may get away with it. But, at that high of a reduction the image will be degraded compared to full quality. And, yes, compressing it that highly will make rendering a beast.
Bob

Postby daboose » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks for the WinDV link.
daboose
New User
New User

Postby daboose » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Steve

I just ordered your books for Architect and Premiere. Your tutorials are great. I installed WinDV and imported a one-hour session to see how things would go. It looks and sounds great.

I'm using the trail versions of Architect Pro and Premiere at the moment.

Question: my video is SD 720x480. When I export from Premiere, should I use MP4 or AVI to author the DVD in Architect?

Thanks again.
daboose
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Neither. Those are not DVD compliant formats. Exporting to either of those two formats will cause DVD Architect to recompress the video and audio to a DVD compliant format adding greatly to the time necessary to prepare and burn the dvd and may reduce the quality.

Premiere Elements has presets that will export the video to a DVD compliant format. Since your project is SD 720x480, you'll want to use the NTSC DVD Standard preset. This is located in the share options for exporting to your PC. Choose MPEG and make sure the NTSC DVD Standard preset is selected.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:49 pm

In version 14, this is located under Export & Share/Devices/Computer/720x480 with MPEG-PS preset.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby daboose » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:55 pm

DVD Architect handled 3 hours of SD 720x420 with ease.

Quality was excellent (for classroom environment.) No ghosting and very clean/crisp.

Question: I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 to clean some tracks and see Adobe now has it as a monthly subscription. Is there a standalone version available or alternative?

Appreciate the assist! Thanks again.
daboose
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:29 pm

You may be able to find an older version on eBay or Amazon. But all current versions of Adobe's professional programs are subscription only.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:35 am

You might find a copy of Audition CS6 as Steve says. There is also the FREE Audacity software that also does a very good job of cleaning up audio.

http://audacityteam.org/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby daboose » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:10 am

Thank you John for the point to Audacity.
daboose
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:44 am

You're welcome. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby daboose » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:39 am

After editing the videos and creating the DVD, I archive the edited video on Sony DVCAM tape (PDV-184N).

If Elements 14 can do this, it's not obvious to me. :conf:

Can anyone recommend/suggest software to export/print to tape?
daboose
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:35 pm

CyberLink PowerDirector and Sony Movie Studio can. So can WinDV, which is free.

If you're talking about archiving to miniDV, I mean.

If you're talking about professional DVCAM, that's a little harder to come by. Though I'd expect Sony Vegas Pro can if any program under $400 can.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Video Editors