They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Guidance Video Capture & DVD Authoring

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Re: Guidance Video Capture & DVD Authoring

Postby HSA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote: Premiere Elements doesn't capture tape-based video at all anymore. So you'll need to capture using the free download WinDV -- but then the captured video will import into a standard definition Premiere Elements project.

Steve, what do you believe is the reason that Adobe removed from Premier Elements the capability to execute tape-based capture?

I have Premier Elements 11; it was recommended that I keep it for that very reason.

If one uses WinDV for capture, do you know what in what format it places the video file (AVI, etc.)?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Apparently they felt tape-based video was obsolete technology.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

HSA wrote:If one uses WinDV for capture, do you know what in what format it places the video file (AVI, etc.)?

input / output - capturing from DV device to AVI files (both type-1 and type-2 supported) and recording vice versa

From here:
http://windv.mourek.cz/
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Apparently they felt tape-based video was obsolete technology.

Not quite obsolete for me yet. That'l teach me to buy LOTS of miniDV tapes in anticipation. Still got about another 30 or so unused then it will definitely be a camera upgrade.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Not quite obsolete for me yet.

I'm still shooting HDV, as almost all of my projects go on DVDs.
It took me a long time to go from 4:3 to 16:9. :lol:
Peru

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Obsolescence happens. My guess is that tape-based capture was dropped because it's no longer a significant feature for the majority of Adobe's Premiere Elements customer base. Think about it. When's the last time you saw someone (other than yourself) shooting video with something other than their phone? Were they using a tape-based camcorder?

It's expensive and often difficult to maintain code for obsolete features -- I can't fault them for dropping it. Those who are connoisseurs of classic video camcorders or need to convert old media have alternate ways to do the capture.
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Bob wrote: Think about it. When's the last time you saw someone (other than yourself) shooting video with something other than their phone?

That's a good point.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 am

Bob wrote: When's the last time you saw someone...shooting video with something other than their phone?

My phone doesn't shoot video that's why I am still using miniDV tapes. :no: :-D
phone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 am

Bob wrote:Think about it. When's the last time you saw someone (other than yourself) shooting video with something other than their phone?

<Joke Alert>
On that basis I presume Premier Elements 2020 will drop support for landscape format video ;-)
</Joke Alert>
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:51 am

<Joke Alert>
On that basis I presume Premier Elements 2020 will drop support for landscape format video ;-)
</Joke Alert>[/quote]

Oh my.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:56 am

#-o
Peru

Postby HSA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Peru:

Thank you for that information.

You stated that with the WinDV capture program, AVI files ---- both type-1 and type-2 are supported. I did not know what “type-1 and type-2” meant, so I went to the website you identified. On the web page there is an image of the applicable dialog.

Highly cryptic to a beginner, but hovering the mouse pointer over the various items in that dialog brings up smaller, yellow, dialogs intending to explain the setting.

For type-1, the explanation is: “Type-1 AVIs contain one DV audio-video stream. (Use Type-2 instead for vfw compatibility.)”

For type-2, the explanation is: “Type-2 AVIs contain one DV-compressed video stream and one uncompressed audio stream.”

Could you help please: I have no idea what “vfw compatibility” means, or which option to choose.

My purpose is to capture video and audio from some VHS tapes. Import into Premier Elements. Edit the material. Save the post-edited “master file”. Burn DVDs for family members.

In that light, would you suggest that I select type-1 or type-2?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Postby Peru » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 pm

You want type 2 for Premiere Elements.
Peru

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:28 pm

FYI:

VfW stands for Video for Windows and is the multimedia framework that, as the name says, allowed use of video in the Windows operating system. It had the same purpose as QuickTime on a Mac. VfW is now obsolete having been replaced by first DirectShow and now DirectX. In the context of WinDV, compatible with "VfW" means compatible with "Windows".

As for AVI, there are two ways to store your captured digital video. Type 1 has a single stream of data and audio is multiplexed together with video. Type 2 has two streams, one like in type 1 and a separate stream for audio only. Type two is the format originally supported by Windows and is what most consumer level programs expect.
Bob

Postby HSA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Bob wrote:FYI:

. . . As for AVI, there are two ways to store your captured digital video. Type 1 has a single stream of data and audio is multiplexed together with video. Type 2 has two streams, one like in type 1 and a separate stream for audio only. Type two is the format originally supported by Windows and is what most consumer level programs expect.

Thank you, Bob.

Having that explanation, I’ll note the following, which may be of interest to some (it certainly is to me).

In another discussion thread, Steve Grisetti recommended using Easy-Link 2.0 to capture VHS tape-based video for editing (and that products like this have superseded capturing via Canopus 110 and Firewire). Further, he has two very fine instruction videos for installing the software and for using the software and hardware.

The product is available through Amazon. On Amazon, I reviewed the customer reviews. Putting aside problems incurred likely by those purchasers/reviewers who don’t follow manufacturers’ instructions and who also don’t maintain their computers, more than a few quite-reasonable-sounding purchasers/reviewers commented very negatively that, especially with longer VHS captures, the audio becomes out of sync with the video. The longer the recording/capture, the worse the problem.

Back to the matter of the WinDV utility and the “Type-1” vs. “Type-2” AVI captures: Do you think that one or the other method of capture would eliminate, or minimize the chance of, capturing audio out of sync with the video when captures are an hour or more?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

PreviousNext

Return to Video Editors