They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

IRF FILES, VIEWING CONVERTING

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

IRF FILES, VIEWING CONVERTING

Postby dmgwalsh » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:24 am

I am not sure if this is in the right area. AVITRY (Joe) suggested I bring my questions to this forum.

There was a recording using some security type cameras, I think, maybe in conjunction with a dvr. At any rate, the files I have been given are all irf files. 15 consecutive files that are supposed to be a 2 hour 17 minute video. I am told the recording is still in the dvr but that the files I have should have everything.

I have used an irftool.exe to convert them to avi and then have joined them together as one big avi file and have made an mp4 out of them and a dvd out of them. They have a little glitch where the individual files are joined together. I can see it in the avi, the mp4 and the dvd.

One question I have is, is there a way to join them together to avoid the hiccup at the joints?

I tried to view them individually in something called ifileplayback.exe but although I can hear the audio, I cannot see any video. Any ideas on how I can view the original?

I am also wondering if the original from the dvr was one file that was cut up before it came to me, but I will have to try to find that out from whoever got it for the guy who sent it to me.

Eventually, I would like to have one continuous file that I can add commentary to. I was wondering if the avi format is ok for this. If something better, could the irf have been converted to something else and if so how. Or would I just convert the avi to something else to work with.

Thank you for reading this. I fool around a little bit with pool and billiard videos but don't really know much about video files themselves. If I am in the wrong area, please direct me to the correct one, if you know.
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Re: IRF FILES, VIEWING CONVERTING

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:41 am

Hi, Dm. Welcome to Muvipix!

First question we need to ask is what you plan to eventually do with the files. Are you going to use all or part of them in a movie project? Do you plan to put them on a DVD or BluRay disc? Display them online? There are different worfklows, depending on what your goals are.

Converting any file can be risky, unless you know exactly what you're doing. AVIs, for instance, come in thousands of flavors -- and if you convert your files to the "wrong" AVI type, you may actually make it a less rather than more compatible file. But it all depends on what you plan to do.

Meantime, here's a discussion about a successful conversion. (This isn't you, is it?)
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3572 ... on-utility

As I say, it all depends on what you plan to do with the finished product!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby dmgwalsh » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:14 am

This is video of a pool player making 351 consecutive balls in straight pool. He wants to be able to add a commentary line, talking and explaining the shots, and eventually converting it to a dvd .

I have used the irftool and it just converts to an avi. Gives you no choice of what type of avi to convert. it just does it.

When i combined the avis, there was a little glitch at the spots where they were combined.

I cannot view the raw irf files. when i put them in the ifileplayer, all I can do is hear the audio.

That isn't me on that other site.
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 am

Download either Media Info or G Spot and open one of your AVIs in it.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

We need to crack one of those files open see what it lists for its resolution, frame rate and, above, its audio and video codecs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:56 pm

The avi file contains H.264 encoded video. Ifrtool.exe extracts the H.264 video from the IFR file and wraps it into an AVI container. If more than one camera stream is recorded in the ifr file, ifrtool will create a separate avi file for each.

What is the nature of the glitch you are seeing when you join clips? Does it look like frames are missing and there is a jump in the action or does it look like there are extra frames and the image freezes for a moment? Or, is it something else?
Bob

Postby dmgwalsh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:55 am

Using G Spot,

H264 /MPEG-4AVC

PCM Audio
8000 hz 128 kb/s

Len 2:14.180
pics/s 14.980 frames/s 14.980 Frms 2,010 kbps 354 Qf 0.070

pic 704 x 480
sar 1.467(22.15)

The avi is being uploaded to youtube and will be up here hopefully in about 7 hours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYdQz0-tjVo

The glitch is just sort of a ghosting or pixellating that lasts less than a second and appears to be where the avis join together. 4:59 in, then 9:59, 9:58,9:59 etcetera.
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby dmgwalsh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:45 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Download either Media Info or G Spot and open one of your AVIs in it.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

We need to crack one of those files open see what it lists for its resolution, frame rate and, above, its audio and video codecs.

Using G Spot,

H264 /MPEG-4AVC

PCM Audio
8000 hz 128 kb/s

Len 2:14.180
pics/s 14.980 frames/s 14.980 Frms 2,010 kbps 354 Qf 0.070

pic 704 x 480
sar 1.467(22.15)

Can you answer my questions?
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby dmgwalsh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:46 am

Bob wrote:The avi file contains H.264 encoded video. Ifrtool.exe extracts the H.264 video from the IFR file and wraps it into an AVI container. If more than one camera stream is recorded in the ifr file, ifrtool will create a separate avi file for each.

What is the nature of the glitch you are seeing when you join clips? Does it look like frames are missing and there is a jump in the action or does it look like there are extra frames and the image freezes for a moment? Or, is it something else?

The avi has been uploaded to youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYdQz0-tjVo

The glitch is just sort of a ghosting or pixellating that lasts less than a second and appears to be where the avis join together. 4:59 in, then 9:59, 9:58,9:59 etcetera.

Any idea why it is there? What is the best program to use to make a dvd out of an avi?
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Those types of artifacts are what you get when an mpeg is arbitrarily cut without regard to the contents. Mpeg uses what is called a GOP (Group Of Pictures). The first frame in a GOP is a complete image. Subsequent frames in the GOP are deltas (differences). This is done to increase the amount of compression. When playing back, the first frame and the deltas are combined to recreate the other frames. If the video is cut in the middle of a GOP, there is no initial frame to combine with the deltas. The result is missing video with pixilation (from the remaining deltas as they are added in). When the playback finds the start of the next GOP, the pixilation goes away and you get normal video again.

If those IFR videos are cut that way, they are segments of the complete video and it may be possible to join them to restore the structure. You can't simply place the avi files on the timeline as adjacent clips. One reason is that each clip is processed individually and you won't be able to pick up the start of the GOP from the end of the preceding clip. Another reason is that ifrtool.exe changes the structure. The IFR clips will need to be concatenated before you use ifrtool.exe.

You will need to open a command prompt and use DOS commands to join the videos. This is similar to what you need to do with VOB files from a DVD. See this thread and use your ifr files instead of vob files: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11554&p=99124#p99145

After you've concatenated the ifr files and then run ifrtool.exe, you'll have a single avi file which should be easy to use to create a dvd. You can use Premiere Elements or any other dvd authoring application. But, since you have Premiere Elements already, you might as well use that.
Bob

Postby dmgwalsh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Bob wrote:Those types of artifacts are what you get when an mpeg is arbitrarily cut without regard to the contents. Mpeg uses what is called a GOP (Group Of Pictures). The first frame in a GOP is a complete image. Subsequent frames in the GOP are deltas (differences). This is done to increase the amount of compression. When playing back, the first frame and the deltas are combined to recreate the other frames. If the video is cut in the middle of a GOP, there is no initial frame to combine with the deltas. The result is missing video with pixilation (from the remaining deltas as they are added in). When the playback finds the start of the next GOP, the pixilation goes away and you get normal video again.

If those IFR videos are cut that way, they are segments of the complete video and it may be possible to join them to restore the structure. You can't simply place the avi files on the timeline as adjacent clips. One reason is that each clip is processed individually and you won't be able to pick up the start of the GOP from the end of the preceding clip. Another reason is that ifrtool.exe changes the structure. The IFR clips will need to be concatenated before you use ifrtool.exe.

You will need to open a command prompt and use DOS commands to join the videos. This is similar to what you need to do with VOB files from a DVD. See this thread and use your ifr files instead of vob files: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11554&p=99124#p99145

After you've concatenated the ifr files and then run ifrtool.exe, you'll have a single avi file which should be easy to use to create a dvd. You can use Premiere Elements or any other dvd authoring application. But, since you have Premiere Elements already, you might as well use that.

It looked like a good solution but when i combined the files the resultant file was puny. four kb after combining about 90mb in files. I tried it combining just two at a time. When I put the new file in irf tool and tried to convert, it said not a H.264 file.
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:01 pm

That's too bad. IRF Is a proprietary format and it wasn't clear whether you could concatenate like VOB files or whether you couldn't. We now know you can't.

You can try to delete the bad sections of the clips. Put the avi files on the time line like you did the first time. Position the current time indicator to the start of the second clip and use the right arrow key to step through one frame at a time. When you find the first frame that displays correctly, cut the clip at that point and delete the bad part. Be sure to close the gap in the timeline. Trimming off the beginning will result in a jump in the action where the clips join, but that might be less objectionable than the pixilation artifacts you get leaving it in.
Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 am

I just had a thought. I'm wondering if maybe the h.264 in avi combination may be giving premiere elements problems. Please try something. If you place the second clip on the timeline by itself, does the glitch still appear? If it does, is the glitch at the beginning of the clip or the end?

Could you upload the first two avi clips somewhere so I can try some things with them?
Bob

Postby dmgwalsh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:11 am

Bob wrote:I just had a thought. I'm wondering if maybe the h.264 in avi combination may be giving premiere elements problems. Please try something. If you place the second clip on the timeline by itself, does the glitch still appear? If it does, is the glitch at the beginning of the clip or the end?

Could you upload the first two avi clips somewhere so I can try some things with them?

Here are a couple of the clips. Should be up in my dropbox before too long.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 ... 000_01.avi

dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 am

Got the first one, the second doesn't appear to be there yet. I'll try later.
Bob

Postby dmgwalsh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:39 pm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 ... 000_01.avi Here is another try for the 94000 file.

and here is a link to the 92000 file.
I believe you have the 93000.
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Next

Return to Video Editors