They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

IRF FILES, VIEWING CONVERTING

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Re: IRF FILES, VIEWING CONVERTING

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I've got both files now. Thanks.

Looks like there is an error regarding length in the video headers in both files. I can play the files in VLC and Windows Media player, but not Quicktime. Premiere Pro CS6 rejects the files as damaged and won't import them. I'm going to do more advanced analysis when I get back home tonight and see if I can get around the error.
Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:11 pm

OK, I had a chance to examine the two files some more. The main problem is the wrapping of the h.264 video in the AVI container. I was able to copy the H.264 contents and rewrap to a mp4 container without recompression and I can import and edit them without the pixilation glitch. Here's what you need to do.

First, assuming you are on Windows, go to http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and download the current ffmpeg static build file. It's in 7-zip format, you may need to install 7-zip if you don't have something that can extract the files from that type of file.

Extract the ffmpeg.exe program from the downloaded file. It doesn't need to be installed, for convenience place in the folder containing the avi files. I'm going to assume that's what you did. It's a DOS program so you will need to open a command prompt to execute it.

Open a command prompt. Using dos commands, navigate to the location where the program and the files are located. When there, enter the following command line substituting the actual avi file name for "filename":

ffmpeg -i filename.avi -vcodec copy filename.mp4

For example, ffmpeg -i 20130505_092000_01.avi -vcodec copy 20130505_092000_01.mp4

This will extract the h.264 contents from the avi file and rewrap it into an mp4 file. Repeat the command for each of the avi files.

You now have valid mp4 files that you can assemble and edit. There is one last issue. The final frame in each segment may be bad. You'll need to check each. It looks like the program that split the clip didn't create a proper frame at the cut. Here's an example:

irfglitch.JPG

Since it's only a single frame, you could leave it and it's unlikely that anyone will notice. But, you may want to trim off the final frame. Not a biggie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby dmgwalsh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Bob wrote:OK, I had a chance to examine the two files some more. The main problem is the wrapping of the h.264 video in the AVI container. I was able to copy the H.264 contents and rewrap to a mp4 container without recompression and I can import and edit them without the pixilation glitch. Here's what you need to do.

First, assuming you are on Windows, go to http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and download the current ffmpeg static build file. It's in 7-zip format, you may need to install 7-zip if you don't have something that can extract the files from that type of file.

Extract the ffmpeg.exe program from the downloaded file. It doesn't need to be installed, for convenience place in the folder containing the avi files. I'm going to assume that's what you did. It's a DOS program so you will need to open a command prompt to execute it.

Open a command prompt. Using dos commands, navigate to the location where the program and the files are located. When there, enter the following command line substituting the actual avi file name for "filename":

For example, ffmpeg -i 20130505_092000_01.avi -vcodec copy 20130505_092000_01.mp4

This will extract the h.264 contents from the avi file and rewrap it into an mp4 file. Repeat the command for each of the avi files.

You now have valid mp4 files that you can assemble and edit. There is one last issue. The final frame in each segment may be bad. You'll need to check each. It looks like the program that split the clip didn't create a proper frame at the cut. Here's an example:

irfglitch.JPG

Since it's only a single frame, you could leave it and it's unlikely that anyone will notice. But, you may want to trim off the final frame. Not a biggie.
Bob wrote:I just had a thought. I'm wondering if maybe the h.264 in avi combination may be giving premiere elements problems. Please try something. If you place the second clip on the timeline by itself, does the glitch still appear? If it does, is the glitch at the beginning of the clip or the end?

Could you upload the first two avi clips somewhere so I can try some things with them?[/quot
Bob wrote:OK, I had a chance to examine the two files some more. The main problem is the wrapping of the h.264 video in the AVI container. I was able to copy the H.264 contents and rewrap to a mp4 container without recompression and I can import and edit them without the pixilation glitch. Here's what you need to do.

irfglitch.JPG

Very cool. I just did as you said with the first two files and now have 2 new mp4s. I will work on the others tomorrow.

So we were not converting the avis to mp4, we were extracting the H.264 content and making an mp4 out of it? I have used software to convert various file types to mp4s before but I suspect this was something different with perhaps a cleaner result.

What program would be best to put them together in? And how would I trim off something if it got in the way. Just frame by frame and cut?

Eventually, if we get it all done, we would want to add some narration. Would we be keeping it in the mp4 for that?

Thanks for all the help!
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:01 am

What program would be best to put them together in? And how would I trim off something if it got in the way. Just frame by frame and cut?...Eventually, if we get it all done, we would want to add some narration. Would we be keeping it in the mp4 for that?

You'll be able to join them and edit in any video editing program that supports avchd files. That's most of them these days. What did you use to create the joined file you uploaded to YouTube?

As for joining the files, basically, you create a project and place the files on the timeline adjacent to each other in the proper order.

The editing program will be able to trim the clips using various methods. Generally, you will be able to set in and out points; Cut clips at specific frames and delete; Some programs even let you drag the end of the clip on the timeline to change the beginning or end point of the clip.

Most video editors will let you separate the audio from the video and remove or mute the audio track. You can also add in a new audio track. Many applications will let you record a narration track directly within the editor. You could also record it separately using a voice recorder or other means and import it into the video project.

You can export the edited video with the narration track to a separate file or create a dvd.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Video editors typically do not import actual video files into the project file. The project file contains a reference to where the file exists and what changes you want to make. But, the original file is untouched. What you see in the editor is a virtual edit. Don't delete the original files until the edit is finished and you've exported the finished video to an actual file or burned your dvd.
Bob

Postby dmgwalsh » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm

OK. I conververted all of them to mp4 using the ffmpeg prodedure and then stuck them together, both in avi and in mp4 and the spot between the sections is fixed. There is a momentary skip but you probably would not notice it if you did not know where to look.

The very last irf file that made up this video may be a little faulty. The guy who did the original is going to download it again and send it to me. I am a couple of states over and he is using snail mail. I will await my package and see if I have anything to add to the video.

Otherwise, I will just leave it like it is and let the guy add the commentary. I moved it into windows movie maker and removed the original audio. I am certain I am not using the best tools , but I am just using what I have used before. Thanks again for helping me out with my irf and avi files.
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby dmgwalsh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:19 am

dmgwalsh wrote:The very last irf file that made up this video may be a little faulty. The guy who did the original is going to download it again and send it to me. I am a couple of states over and he is using snail mail. I will await my package and see if I have anything to add to the video.

I received the new download and there is still the same problem with the last irf file. When I put the irf files in the irf tool, they all convert to one avi file. Except for the last one. It converts into one avi file that takes us right to the same spot in the video as the last one. Then 7 other smaller avi files are made also but when you try to play them, you get a screen that says video loss.

Is there another way to try to get all of the video out of the irf file? Here is a link to the file. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 ... 113000.irf I tried to upload it but it is 15mb.
dmgwalsh
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:05 pm

ifrtool is the only way I've heard of to extract the video. Ifr files can contain streams from multiple cameras and will extract a file for each stream it encounters. Irftool appears to be working normally. It sounds like there is an issue with the last irf file. If the last file repeats the previous one and is the same length, you are likely missing the final segment.
Bob

Previous

Return to Video Editors