They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Confused_Best Video Quality

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Confused_Best Video Quality

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 pm

My goal is to create - and hopefully sell - "How to" - Paint Watercolors books with complementary DVDs and Vimeo and/or YouTube video shorts that will serve as an advertising function. There is a particular 'art projects' publisher whose specs I'm using for the photo stills for the book part of the projects.

With a DSLR I always shoot RAW files and save those files without edits, sort of like saving a film negative. Then I edit my images, reduce image size, and save as .psd (Photoshop) or .tiff for images that are to be printed, or reduce file size again and save as .jpg files if they are to be posted on the web.

So it makes sense to me to shoot video in 1080/60p (since my camcorder can) and save the files unedited, then downgrade to a setting that can be saved on a DVD now, giving me the option to produce higher quality BluRay discs when the time comes that they (or something higher still) are the norm.

However, general advise these days seems to be to shoot in AVCHD 1080i at 30 (or 29.something) Why? Why not shoot at the highest quality possible?

I currently have Adobe Premiere Elements 10. There is no 1080p/60 import setting. I've heard (read) rumors that Premiere Elements 11 does, but I haven't found that on Adobe's site. Does anyone know?

I've also read that Vegas something software is better for progressive video editing. If I have to upgrade anyway, does anyone have an opinion on which program would be better.

Several questions, I know. Thanks for your thoughts,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Confused_Best Video Quality

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:58 am

Hi, Paz. Welcome to Muvipix!

If you are editing in Premiere Elements 10, you do not want to shoot in 1080p60, since the program doesn't support it. (Version 11 does.) You'll only make processing end editing the video a lot harder if not impossible.

It also won't give you much benefit. I understand that you want the highest quality, so your intent is to shoot at a higher quality and rez-down. That's a strategy that works well in photography. But it doesn't really translate well to video.

60p gives you twice as many frames per second -- which is great for capturing action. But it won't give you a clearer or cleaner picture once you output it as a DVD, since your DVD will only have 30 fps anyway. You'll only end up throwing away half the frames.

Still, it doesn't hurt, if the program supports it. So, if you're determined to shoot in 60p, I'd definitely recommend upgrading to Premiere Elements 11. (Vegas Movie Studio can digest 60p -- but the program ends up blending the video to 30 fps when you output it -- and it doesn't handle 60p nearly as efficiently as Premiere Elements 11.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks, Steve.

I downloaded Premiere Elements 11 and I think I LIKE IT! So clean... when 10 was so cluttered. :conf:

I'll look under the rugs and see if I can find where the [s]bodies[/s] knobs and dials are buried.

Does 11 have all the bells and whistles 10 has?

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:32 pm

About the only major feature that was removed between 10 and 11 was the Motion Tracking tool. But the trade-off is in a much snappier, more versatile program.

Have you checked out our free 8-part Basic Training tutorials for version 11, BTW?
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Have you checked out the tutorials?

Yes. Thanks for the link. I went through them this afternoon.

I also went through the Muvipix Store - which took me directly to Amazon - I guess that's the way it is supposed to work -and purchased Premiere Elements 11, your book on PreE 11, and your book on DVD Architect 5.

I think I have my work cut out for me! I sure hope the text is larger than it was in your book Pre9. I have to use a magnifying glass to read the info in the pics. :lol:

thanks again, Steve,

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:17 am

Wow! Thanks so much for supporting out site and our books, Paz! Great to have you a part of our community!

Meantime, when you have a couple of minutes, we'd love to have you drop by our Introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself. We have community members all over the world, and we love sharing skills and hearing about your part of the world.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 pm

drop by our Introductions forum and tell us a bit

Okay.

Premiere Elements 11 is here and installed. The two books should arrive in a couple of days. That's pretty fast service.

I have the trial download of DVD Architect 5. I didn't see a way to order it through your store. Please let me know if that is possible.

thanks,

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Paz,
Thanks so much for thinking of purchasing through the Muvipix Store :TU:
However, we do not have any links to DVD Architect - sorry :(
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:00 pm

But do select the option to download the file from Sony Creative Software's site rather than ordering the boxed set. You'll save yourself $10 that way. (But make sure you save a copy of the downloaded file and your license number some place, just in case you have to reinstall it later for some reason.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 pm

we do not have any links to DVD Architect - sorry

Hey, you need to tell them a thing or two... like "I wrote the book!" \:D/

Thanks for the information. I'll be placing my order soon.

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video Editors