They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Workshop Authoring software

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

DVD Workshop Authoring software

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I've been laboring for quite some time about building my new computer. Crazy as it sounds, mostly because I fear I'll loose DVDWS. I know, I know ... but, I do one thing over and over, and that is convert VHS for someone using this program and I'm all set up doing it, I can go through it in a heartbeat and have it to his specs.

Anyway, that aside, I did build the computer. On top of that, I decided to scrap the idea of dual booting, in hopes DVDWS would run.

I decided to take a chance and just install Windows 7 64 bit without dual boot.

I tried to install DVDWS, and while it isn't working, its doing better than expected, and if I knew what the heck I was doing I'd probably iron this out. I'm hoping very hard, someone can help me figure out the issue.

The program loads, and runs. However, it only will display video from a dv-avi file (type2) no audio. And... It will not display any audio or video from an mpeg2 file. If I play the movie in the preview window, it will run, it will count frames, but nothing shows.

The interesting thing is when I went to finalize, and burn, (even though I saw nothing) it saw my burner, and burned a dvd. I have to play it back but I'm guessing there will be video there. I just got done and wanted so bad to post this.

The program seems to be missing a codec. First and foremost, does anyone know where DVDWS looks for these codec? Are they installed with the program?

Because I used Windows 7 Ultimate, I had access to Windows XP Mode, I did download it and the virtual engine to run it, and the program did display audio and video from both file types, Problem, it didn't seem to see a dvd burner, and very strangely it did not accept the mpeg as conforming, it wanted to transcode. This mode seems farther away from success than running DVDWS straight from Windows 7

I'm really hoping someone has some ideas for how to get DVDWS to encode and view the clips put on the edit line. This gotta work guys.... :roll:
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: DVD Workshop Authoring software

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Not free, but setting up a Windows XP virtual machine with VMWare Workstation 8 might do the trick. It supports burning DVDs. I've been using VMWare Workstation 5, but haven't had a need to upgrade as I am still using Windows XP.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desk ... tation/8_0.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: DVD Workshop Authoring software

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks Robert! I'll look into that, but, I've thrown up my hands, taken 12 gigs of memory out of my new computer, formatted, and installed XP Pro with 4 gigs of ram.

Everything works. I went from 2.5 minutes encoding that 15 minute clip in PE3.0.2 up to 3.5 minutes. Which, in actual movie encoding, (usually 2 hrs worth) Its only 8 minutes more. My P4 came in at 13 minutes for that clip.

However, I hate to admit it, cause I really don't like PE 10, it came in at about 3 seconds under 2 minutes while running the 32 bit version in XP. That's pretty good. If I can just figure out all these changes, maybe I'll suffer with it. I'll pick up Steve's book and hold it side by side with his PE 2 book.

Would the book written for vers. 9 be a better bet since it is dedicated to only PE?

thanks,
joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Video Editors