They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Roll Call Feb 2011

Talk about anything here.

Roll Call Feb 2011

Postby Cinde » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Hello all you new people! We occasionally have a "roll call" that is not related to video. It's a way for us to get to know each other a little better.

Today's topic is "regional vocabulary" or "boy did I misunderstand that!" Have you had a misunderstanding with someone because of words or phrases that may mean different things in different areas? Mine is "I don't care."

Several years ago I worked for a small college in the south. Often our professors were from different areas of the country. There was one northern lady that I really had a hard time convincing that I was willing to help her, rather than what she understood... that I really did not want to help her.

She had asked me if I would help her later in the day to rearrange furniture in an office. My reply was "I don't care to help you"... meaning that I was willing to help. Later our boss came to ask why I did not want to help her. I told him that I had already told her I would help. He informed me that she came to him and said that I told her I did not want to help. He got us both together and it took us only a short while to come to an understanding that I had indeed said "I don't care to help you".... she said to him, "THERE! I told you she said she did not want to help". After a few moments of explaining we both understood that each of us was right, what I had spoken and how she had understood. After that if either of us was unsure of something, we sat down and discussed it.

Maybe you don't have a "word/phrase" issue. Perhaps you have a favorite quote to share... who said it... and why you like it.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Roll Call Feb 2011

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 pm

That's funny, Cinde!

The closest I've come is with the word "soda" -- which, in most of the country, means a soft drink.

But, when I'm in Ohio visiting my family, I have to remember that the word there is "pop" -- and that a soda is a drink made with carbonated water, chocolate syrup and a scoop of ice cream. Called, variously, an ice cream soda, a phosphate or an egg cream in other parts of the country.

And, of course, in the American South, all "sodas" are called "cokes" -- as in "What kind of coke would you like, honey? A root beer or a Seven-Up?"
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby stanatou » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 pm

"I'm sure you think you heard what I said but I'm not sure that what you heard is what I meant."

I don't know where this caame from but it frequently comes to mind...even around the house :-D .

Stan
stanatou
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:06 pm

As a native of Ohio, or "uh-high-uh" as they say in the southeast part of the state, I can relate to what Steve says. We do sometimes say soda to refer to a soft drink, but always prefacing the word pop, as in "soda pop." But more often we just say "pop."

I've certainly had my share of times in my life when I said something that was misinterpreted, but I can't remember any specific instances that I could blame on regional vocabulary. Cinde, I have to admit that had you said that to me I would have interpreted it as meaning that you didn't want to help. I've never heard the phrase before.

I've traveled a lot in the Blue Ridge and the southeast U.S. in general, and one silly little thing comes to mind....
In Ohio when you order iced tea you have to specify if you want it sweetened or not. Almost always it comes unsweetened and you add sweetener on your own if you want. As soon as you get south of the Ohio River you'd better understand that if you order iced tea it's going to be sweetened. If you don't want sweet tea you've got to say so up front. Oh, and by the way, I love the way the waitresses all call you "honey" in the south. :)

My favorite quote? "DON'T PANIC" (yes, it has to be in capitals). I'm sure that for many I don't need to explain where it came from. The philosophy has helped me through many a tight situation, especially since starting my own business six years ago.

My second favorite quote? "It is what it is." I have a client who uses that one to get himself through many a rough day in his own business, and it seems to be his zen mantra. In a sense, it's very closely related to "DON'T PANIC."
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ted » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Cinde, I think I may have taken it the same way as your co-worker... I haven't heard it used the other way. Interesting!

Hmm.... for me, my latest phrase has been "Seriously?"... even if I'm driving alone and somebody cuts me off, I shout to my windshield, "Seriously?!" What do I expect them to do? Look back and say, "No... I'm just kidding."

In teaching, besides "Seriously," I use "Capiche?" a lot with my students. If I want them to truly let me know they understand something, I'll ask: "Capiche?" (Not sure if I'm spelling that correctly... Steve can help me! ;) ) and they all say, "Capiche." It's pretty cute when a group of 10-year-old confirm something in my mother tongue. ;)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Kitwn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:54 am

When I was a kid living in England it was said that England and Americal were 'two countries divided by a common langauge'.

I can think of one slang word common in both languages which refres to signifficantly different parts of your anatomy depending on where you live. I sha'nt explain further on such a polite forum as Muvipix!!!!!!!!

My favourite difference between the USA and UK or Australian usage is that in America, after having dinner at a restaurant, you ask for the check and might pay with bills. In the UK or here you ask for the bill and might pay with a cheque.

On the drinks front, Coke is.. well Coke! Soda water is carbonated water and anything else non-alcoholic is a 'soft drink' you would ask for by name.

G'Day!

Kit
Moderation in all things. Including moderation itself.
Kitwn

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 am

And, of course, Ted, the actual word is "Capisce" -- pronounced "kah-PEE-sheh" and it's Italian for "Do you understand?"

But, since most Italians in America are from Sicily or southern Italy, it's usually pronounced here in dialect, "kah-BEESH".

When I was a kid, mom used to make Italian dumplings that we called "nyahks".

Couldn't ever get it in a restaurant though -- until I learned they were actually called "NYOH-key" (gnocchi).
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 am

Funny story Cinde :) Soda is a definite in St Louis. We lived in a few other states that all said pop and I got razzed about that often. One time in Iowa I was in the drive thru at a fast food restaurant and I ordered a soda. Next thing I heard was all of the workers over the intercom howling in laughter. I almost drove away. But when I got to the window they told me how one worker called it soda and all the others called it pop and to settle the issue they decided they will call it by the name the next customer calls it. Well, that was me. :lol:

My husband has two phrases "Can't fix stupid" and the other is "You are not going to believe this". The latter usually means he did something stupid and I may be mad. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am

Finding it intriguing, I decided to research Cinde's "I don't care to help you" and came across this interesting and well-written article. BTW, I'm also Scots-Irish, so parts of this especially caught my attention. Note questions and answers at the end, which include Cinde's phrase. I learned something today! That's a good thing. :)

http://www.kentuckyliving.com/article.a ... ssueid=314
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:16 pm

I had a boss over from England who wanted my department to "knock up" something - meaning prototype it. After a long laugh we informed him of the US meaning...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Isn't "I don't care" the opposite of "I care"?
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 am

Bobby wrote:I had a boss over from England who wanted my department to "knock up" something - meaning prototype it. After a long laugh we informed him of the US meaning...

Hopefully these are not too risque. :???:

A couple of other quite normal expressions in common use in the UK that seem to have an entirely different interpretation in the USA:-

to prick your ears means listen carefully; a rubber is an eraser.

And I believe that sellotape (the standard UK term for scotch tape) is called durex in Australia. In the UK durex is a leading brand of contraceptive.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Just don't mention the cigarettes..... ;) (I don't smoke - so I won't)

If you went to public school (that's an independent school you pay for - not state funded) you might know what I mean...

Indeed - divided by a common language:-

I don't like the colour of the pavement in the neighbourhood. So I put my trunk the car boot and left by an authorised route (pronounced root) by driving down the road (the bit between the pavements). Before I left I made sure I was wearing my trousers as it's rude to go around in just pants. However I broke down so I dialled the AA on my mobile to organise some roadside assistance.

I could probably go on...

Chris in the UK.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby cdeemer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:41 am

Here in Portland we have a summer Rose Festival and a number of ships from various navies dock. An actress friend of mine named Randi was going to be studying in England soon, so she thought it would be cool to invite some English sailors over for dinner. There was a number to call and leave a message, saying when and how many guests you wanted. She called and said something like, "Hi, I'm Randi and I'd like to have four English sailors over on Friday night." Apparently this was such a popular message that the ship had a drawing -- and at dinner, one kind lad explained to her what she actually had said. She still hasn't lived it down.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:45 am

That's hilarious, Charles!

I had a friend from England who worked as a waitress at a Southern California restaurant. She found it hilarious when the manager told them that, when they serve the salad, they should toss for the customer right at the table.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Water Cooler