They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Playing Guitar

Talk about anything here.

Playing Guitar

Postby Greg mgm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi !! I know I don't post much these days but I do browse muvipix regularly.
I've been a drummer for 35 years, and recently I bought a Fender Stratocaster guitar. Trying to learn a new instrument at age 50 is challenging but fun. I wish I started when I was younger though. 8-[

This is what I bought last weekend-

I bought it off the rack at Guitar Center. It still needs to be set up but it's good to learn on for now.
I set up our basement with a stereo that I play the guitar through and a computer for watching online instructional vids. Pretty nice to have my own learning area!

Here's a contrived rock star pose .....pretty funny since I'm not a guitarist!! :lol:

Some of you guys play musical instruments. Let's see what ya got, and what projects you have done.
Go ahead.....boast a little !! image126 image210
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Playing Guitar

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:08 pm

If you have an iPhone iPad iPod touch you will loive the app capped iRig

http://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-IP- ... 102&sr=1-1

It has a huge variety of sounds and supports a lot of styles. Ed has one too and these things rock.

As far as gear goes I have a 1978 100W Marshall Lead w/master volume that I have added some stuff to, and a handmade Charvel Strat when they were still made in San Dimas. I got rid of my 1960 Marshall slant cabinet but am looking for a replacement. Been through a bunch of guitars by my most rare guitar that I owned was a Gibson Moderne. http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/P ... derne-528/

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:46 pm

I've been playing drums since I was in 7th grade, about 40 years. Not great but I have had fun, been in a few bands and used to play at church in Minnesota on the Praise Team. I played violin for 4 years before drums and have learned the guitar. I had a Epiphone Les Paul Studio guitar for awhile and loved it, plan on getting another one some day. I have a Hohner acoustic right now and we just bought a Epiphone Dove for my youngest daughter for Christmas. At one time I was getting pretty good on the guitar but haven't picked it up much in the last 5 years or so. Still play around on the piano once in awhile. If I could learn one instrument really well it would be the piano.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:26 pm

I bought a Yamaha electric guitar about 5 years ago, after taking up guitar very late in life.

I hardly consider myself a musician -- but I do keep it next to the couch and dink around on it every couple of days until my wife and daughter beg me to stop.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I hardly consider myself a musician -- but I do keep it next to the couch and dink around on it every couple of days until my wife and daughter beg me to stop.

One of the joys of having the house to myself. I recently picked up the piano (well, not literally) after letting it collect 30 years of dust. I can play any time of day or nite without anyone complaining. :-D
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby roadsideron » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:47 am

I just goof around with the guitar but I made a video on the "G" scale. I'm not sure it will help but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_lh8qXiyC8
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:55 am

As I think I have mentioned elsewhere, I am trying to get back into guitar playing again.

I have an Electra x940 "Vulcan", which is a Les Paul Classic ripoff, and a dreadnought type acoustic Alvarez DY57 that is about 35 years old and as sweet as it ever was. I play the Electra through an old Peavey amp.

Back in my youth I had some other stuff, including a Hagstrom 12-string solid body electric.

I also fooled around on keyboards a bit, and had a console organ in the house for years.

I never played seriously and don't plan to. But since my PC keyboarding skills are getting less intensive (it's all mousing and finger pointing now) I wanted something else to keep the old man's fingers limber. I also wanted something to keep the old man's ennui from getting to me. We'll see...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:50 am

Sidd- I have an Iphone and may have to try Irig out. Looks very cool. Never heard of a Gibson Moderne. If you ever get one again, hang onto it!

Another drummer on the site...Are your drums at least set up Chuck? :) Mine are but they have lots of dust on them. I'm building a music studio/ room and should have them cleaned up and ready for fun in a few months. (My neighbors can't wait :lol: )

That's an excellent video Ron (cool graphics) but a bit too advanced for me right now. Still trying to play notes cleanly and remember a few chords. And ouch my fingertips are sore !!

I'm happy to hear about the instruments everyone plays. Now we have to start the Muvipix band tour :lol:
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:58 am

I haven't owned a set of drums since the 80's Greg. The churches and bands I've played in have always provided me with a set. I used to go to church and practice during the week but haven't done that for a few years now. I would like to get an electronic kit :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Electronic sets are cool since they have so many sounds. You can't get all the little accents and rolls to sounds the same as on a regular drumset but they are still very useful. I bought a Roland V-Pro set several years ago but they don't get used much these days. Expensive but nice drums.

For the last few days I've been working with this guys online lessons-

http://www.justinguitar.com/

He has lessons from the very beginning and up to advanced playing.
I really like how he explains things so clearly and takes his time with beginners. Seems like a real nice guy. He does ask for donations if his lessons help you....so I'm happily donating.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:11 pm

That's a nice site, Greg!

I guess I'm the same as some others here. Used to play and want to get started again. I probably won't be able to be quite as proficient as I used to be as I now have osteoarthritis in both hands and virtually no cartilage left in my main finger joints. I don't have that much pain, but I do have stiffness and limited range of motion. I played classical guitar where you use the fingers of both hands extensively.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Bob wrote:...I now have osteoarthritis in both hands and virtually no cartilage left in my main finger joints. I don't have that much pain, but I do have stiffness and limited range of motion. I played classical guitar where you use the fingers of both hands extensively...

I am really sorry to hear that, friend Bob. Although at 64 I have lots of other ailments, I have absolutely no arthritis or similar and full body motion. Blessed, I guess.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bubby Grub » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi All.
I am writing this on behalf of my Husband Little Nac, as for some reason he can't log in at the moment, it keeps on telling him it is an invalid login.
Anyway, in his younger day, he started off in the Primary School Band playing the fife, then taught himself the drums. Then at the age of eight, he started learning the Piano Accordian.
Also yours truly played the Accordian. Both of us were pretty good at it and both won many eisteddfods over the years.
Then Little Nac progressed to Grammar School where he became lead drummer in the Army Cadet Band.
As he grew a little older he then became a member of various "Rock" Bands, and the Accordian took second place.
Everytime we drive past a certain hall, he tells me that's where he got his big start in life .50c a night. I don't think so!!!
Anyway, he gave his drums away to someone in need, and the Accordian, along with mine, sits under the Billard Table in the Rumpus Room.
He still taps away at the drums on the desk, which is pretty annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on my PE Projects.
These days he is really good at playing the radio and the fool!!!!
Catch you all later.
Bubby Grub
He progressed to

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 am

Bubby Grub wrote:...These days he is really good at playing the radio and the fool!!!!...

Funny - wife wife says the same thing (about me, that is) :lol:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Greg, I'm 43 and never played the guitar but always wanted to, so I bought the red version of your Affinity Strat two weeks ago. I'm working with the "Guitar Method 5" CD but the justinguitar site is awesome!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Water Cooler