They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Domain hosting recommendations?

Talk about anything here.

Domain hosting recommendations?

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:32 am

My present host seems to be getting greedy. They're charging me $14.95 per year for domain renewal and $8.95 per month for hosting unless I commit to multiple years (2 years @ $7.95, 3 years @ $6.95). This hosting cost has been increasing each year when it seems that hosting in general is getting cheaper. My needs are pretty simple. One domain name, no ecommerce, just a small informational site. I use a half dozen e-mail addresses and I use some of the space for personal use (backup storage), and the occasional place to put photos or videos for family and friends access.

I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who thinks they might have a better host. I see some who say "free domain for life." Does this really mean that they won't charge me a yearly domain renewal fee? Some claim as little as $3.95 per month, but I'm skeptical. I suspect that I'd have to commit to several years in order to get that price. There are an awful lot of these places that are doing this now. One more note...I have a personal problem with Go Daddy, so that's not an option.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Domain hosting recommendations?

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I have a problem with GoDaddy also. Their pricing structure is built to suck business in with artificially low prices, until you actually price the features you need. Don't like 'em.

I have been with APlus (www.aplus.net) for years and years now. Not sure if they are competitive, but their prices are stable and very good customer service. I recommend them to my clients also.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Bobby. It looks like their low-end plan would probably serve my needs and could save me several dollars per month. I do have a problem with them wanting to charge $9.99 per year for the domain. That makes the equivalent monthly fees about $.84 higher. So a $5.95 hosting plan would really be about $6.79. It does say that if you purchase one of their hosting plans the registration is free, but it appears that they will charge the yearly fee. I may have to check into this further. I'm still wondering about the places that claim "free domain for life."

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby rebekahj81 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm a big fan of Tiger Technologies. They've hosted my personal blogs for three years.

It is true that you will only get those $3.95/month promos from other places if you commit to years at a time and pay up front. That seems to be the standard.

I have a basic plan with Tiger and pay $6.95 per month. They don't charge you to register the domain name or to transfer an old one. And I have had STELLAR customer service from them, from dumb questions up to big fixes. They email back promptly and I always feel like there's a real person helping me address my issues quickly. That, to me, is well worth the extra dollar or so per month.

(My problems are usually just me being an idiot though, not them having hosting trouble! My website has NEVER, to my knowledge, been down.)

If you do like them, I'd appreciate if you use this link so I get referral points...

http://www (dot) tigertech (dot) net/referral/therealrebekah (dot)com

Hm, I can't post real links yet. But you get the picture.
rebekahj81
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:49 pm

rebekahj81, thanks for the info. I'll put tigertech on my list to check out. If I should decide to go with them I'll see that you get the referral. Welcome to our community!

Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Dave, I have used Yahoo for the past 5 - 6 years for the chuckengels.com site.
Lots of plans and excellent service.

I have also heard that GoDaddy is good for basic hosting.

Netfirms is another one that we use at my office, they are very good also.

Problem is that there are probably hundreds of hosts these days, too many to sort through.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Problem is that there are probably hundreds of hosts these days, too many to sort through.

That's for sure Chuck. I've been trying to find a site that would give good unbiased reviews of the best hosts, but it's more difficult than one might think. Instead I'm finding bunches of "pseudo" review sites that are really intended to point you toward hosts of their own bias. These sites nearly always have about 10 hosts listed, and if you bother to go through them each you find out that 8 or 9 of them are all owned by the same outfit. What a racket.

I appreciate the response. I think that I'm especially interested in checking out Yahoo. At least I know they're a reputable company that's not likely to go under in the near future.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:...Yahoo. At least I know they're a reputable company that's not likely to go under in the near future.

Well, actually not. Yahoo is holding on by its fingernails and there is much bad press lately about the company and its new leader Carol Bartz. I have read reviews that call its business related websites inaccurate and inept.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Bobby wrote:Well, actually not. Yahoo is holding on by its fingernails and there is much bad press lately about the company and its new leader Carol Bartz. I have read reviews that call its business related websites inaccurate and inept.

Shows you what I know. I actually haven't even been on the Yahoo website in years, but I thought they were a pretty solid company. Thanks for the heads-up Bobby.

Dave McElderry

Postby tiny » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:21 pm

If you know how to build your own site, and are comfortable working over FTP, then I highly recommend DreamHost. It is probably the most powerful/flexible host at the best value. I have used them off and on for years. You generally can get your first year of hosting for near free with some promo code or another. Their name consistently comes up in polls I see on tech sites as peoples favorite. I just can't say enough about how awesome of a host they are.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 am

Tiny, although I used to publish with FrontPage, my present host dropped FP extensions a couple years ago and FTP is all that I've been using. Handholding in general would be minimal, but good support is still a requirement. This is the first host I've seen that isn't using cPanel management. I can't say that cPanel impresses me. I can usually get things done with it, but it's kind of klutzy sometimes. So a different interface would be okay, but I wish that they had shown some screen captures or samples of their web panel. Right at the moment it doesn't look like they're having any promotions, and they're just as expensive as my present host. They're very full-featured, but probably much more than I require. I'll keep them in mind, and I appreciate the response.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:25 am

On a whim I decided to contact my host's billing department to see if they would meet last year's price for my renewal. They did. Problem solved.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Like many things today, such as credit card percentages, ANYTHING is negotiable...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Reminds me of just last week when I called DirecTV to cancel my service.
They gave me a slightly smaller package with free DVR and 3 free receivers (used to have 5 and only 1 was free), old price was $74 per month, new price is $30 per month and they gave me a $60 credit too :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 pm

I think most companies today will do what they can within reason to keep an established customer. A couple of months ago we bundled our phone service with our cable TV and Internet. Saved over $20.00 a month doing it. When the changeover happened I was surprised that the old phone company didn't at least send a letter saying that they were sorry to see us go. It took 6 weeks to get an $8.65 refund check back from them for the unused part of our service. No warm and fuzzies there. Didn't make me feel guilty at all.

Dave McElderry

Return to Water Cooler