They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Permit for Downtown Video?

Talk about anything here.

Permit for Downtown Video?

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm think of doing a video in Downtown Los Angeles that will include doing short interviews of people (with their permission of course) asking what they like and dislike about working/ living in LA. This is not for profit, but I plan to post the video on Veoh, and make DVD's for those who were in the video. I'm doing this for fun and to get more experience...So the question is, do I need to get formal with releases, permits, etc?? I'd prefer not to. Thanks for your thoughts.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:51 pm

I don't know how formal you have to get Greg. If it isn't for publication and distribution you probably don't have much to worry about. I would make the people sign a release though. You can find some basic contracts and things here
http://www.sonnyboo.com/downloads/downloads.htm

Here is a forum discussing a similar topic
http://forum.documentaryfilms.net/viewt ... =374&p=725

Here is a good sample release form you can modify and use
http://web.mac.com/lafsc/iWeb/LAFSC%20M ... 20Form.pdf
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Greg.

The City of Los Angeles requires permits and insurance for any commercial filming whether still or video. You might want to take a look at http://www.eidc.com/ for more information. They can also answer specific questions about filming in LA.

I haven't looked into it, but I'm not aware of any requirements for non-commercial filming of the amateur, tourist, home video type. But, it stands to reason that the more you appear to be a commercial endeavor and/or impact the area, the more likely you will be to need a permit, be reported, and be stopped and/or fined without one. Especially in the downtown area. And then there is the paranoia factor resulting from 9/11. Use a little common sense and prudence.

I would recommend that you do make the effort to get releases from anyone you interview. It's more for your own safety than anything. You might not have a problem without them, but, given how litigious society has become, do you really want to take a chance. Especially as you will be posting the film on the Internet where it will potentially have a widespread audience.

You may find that people will be suspicious of a stranger filming them and asking for their address. You might want to rethink the DVD offer and give them instructions on when and how to see the video on Veoh instead.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Excellent advice Bob :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Wow, that's a lot of good info...thanks! I looked over the "Film LA" site, but it doesn't mention anything about non pro filming/ video. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say, and post the answer tomorrow night. I understand the reasoning behind the release forms, and appreciate the links to those forms. It kind of worries me to go out with a camera these days....I've been told several times that no photos are allowed, and some of the security people here in LA take their jobs WAY too seriously. Then again, one building in particular allows photography and video inside- The Bradbury Building. I took advantage of it and took 100 or so photos just in the lobby....Darn fun!! Thanks a lot for the replies!! Again, this site is great!
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:49 am

Film LA was set up to be a one stop center for film permits and coordination with the various agencies, departments, and communities. It was part of an effort to make permitting easier to keep the studios from leaving town. It's grown a lot since then. I don't know how they'll deal with a non-commercial question. It will be interesting to hear about your call.

The only reason I know anything at all about this is that I knew the fellow that wrote the first film permit application for the City when the function was still being handled by them. That was a long while ago!

I've been to the Bradbury Building many times. Back in the late 60's my auto insurance agent had his office in the building. I took some photos inside about 4 years ago, but they only allowed access to the lobby and the first stair landing for photographs. It's a wonderful building.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:53 am

And just a dissenting opinion to it all.

In a town that's not only home to the motion picture industry and such a heavy tourism commerce as Los Angeles has, I wouldn't sweat the permits and insurance too much if it's just you and a camcorder. (If you've got lights and a film crew, that's another matter.) You're probably way too small a fish to fry, even if you were doing for-profit commercial work (which you're apparently not). And I would expect someone at the LA film office would tell you as much -- unofficially, of course.

As for release forms, it's definitely a good idea, if you're dealing with strangers and you plan to broadcast it (and the internet is broadcasting). Not that people don't show up on the internet all the time without granting permission -- but if your project somehow becomes successful, however you define that, it's better to have permits on record.

Finally, your logon name includes MGM in the name. You involved it all with them? Does that put on you on the Sony Pictures lot? I spent about 4-5 years working on there, off and on, back in my LA days (and some days as far back as when it was still called the MGM lot!).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:51 am

Yup, the Bradbury is an awesome place to photograph, but it's a bit dark inside...still very worth the trouble to adjust for.

I've been using my MGM screen name for many years, and started using it before visiting video/ camera/ editing websites. It just stands for my initials (loosely) Greg M GM It's what I came up with at the time...kind of silly really...but I'm a silly guy :lol: :lol:

I'll be calling Film LA later this morning and report back. Hopefully I'm a very small fish....like a sardine...and they won't fry me.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:51 am

And, of course, the Bradbury building did play a big role in Blade Runner -- as I'm sure you know.
http://www.movie-locations.com/intromov ... derun.html
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:36 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:And just a dissenting opinion to it all.

You're not dissenting at all Steve. I think we essentially said the same thing. As long as he looks like an amateur and is not being disruptive he's probably not going to have a problem.

A lot of filming takes place downtown and the residents and businesses are quick to complain if it's disruptive. I used to work in the downtown area and have seen film crews cited for filming without a permit and stopped several times. Probably because someone reported them.
Bob

Postby Greg mgm » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:29 pm

Steve- On the sidewalk somewhere around the Bradbury Building, there's a small 2 sided poster (on a post) of the Bladerunner movie, with info that it was shot inside their location. I think a lot of old movies were shot there, and I can see why, with the old iron gate elevators and stair railing, marble floors and walls.....Very cool. (I should post the link to my slideshow of it) Bob-You are SO correct about the filming and complaints! I know because my wife and I moved to 5'th and Spring over a year ago. Yup, the filming has annoyed us at times too!!......So, here's what Film LA said- As long as it's not a commercial shoot I won't need to worry about permits or insurance. There are some locations that may require notification, like a particular building or park if I have people helping me (a crew) on the shoot. Since I'm only planning to shoot by myself, and not be blocking sidewalks, or have lighting and equipment, it sounds like I'm good to go. One possibility is that since I have a nice camera, (Canon XH A1) some over zealous cop may think I'm making the next Spielberg movie and cite me... maybe cause he didn't have coffee that morning....but I'll deal with that IF it happens. The Film LA guy agreed with Bob about the releases, in case the video gets shown publicly, so release forms will be a good idea.
Thanks for the replies and links, and especially the link to Film LA. Greg

Edit- OK, I couldn't resist...heres the link to my Bradbury slideshow.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/gregmgm/?action=view&current=Bradbury4aYT3.flv
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:22 pm

Very nice slideshow, Greg!

I very much enjoyed how you had a variety of close-ups and wide shots, so it felt like getting a real tour of the place!

Thanks for sharing it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Don't shoot on Friday or Saturday, because if you go to jail, you'll be in jail over the weekend until you can see the judge on Monday.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Greg mgm » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wouldn't that give me a chance to do more interviews?? :-D :-D

"What are YOU in for??"
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:40 pm

I was charged with doing 25 in a 29.97 zone. I'm quite innocent, I tell you.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Water Cooler