They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Expedition Africa: Stanley and Livingstone

Talk about anything here.

Expedition Africa: Stanley and Livingstone

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Don’t know how many of you got to watch the recently concluded series on History Channel called Expedition Africa: Stanley and Livingstone, but wow was that a good series. I am always impressed with Mark Burnett’s video editing crew. They seem to capture the moment and always have some choice b-roll to throw in too.

I think that the most interesting part is how they can get so many angles of the cast from far away and up close. Some of the shots taken on the water must have had some kind of motor boat to get so far away. I hope the release a “how it was made” section when they release the DVD. Of course Africa is a pretty majestic backdrop too.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Expedition Africa: Stanley and Livingstone

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Wow, I didnt' see it Sidd but now I really want to :bounce:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:25 pm

It was a really good show. The retrace Stanley's trek to find Livingstone alive in Africa. You can get the episodes on iTunes and I think that the History Channel still has a couple of free episodes on their web site.

One of the explorers did an IMAX movie about going down the Nile River prior to this show.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:41 pm

We watched that series and enjoyed it very much. They had porters to carry their gear. Wonder if the porters carried all of the camera gear too? One episode they walked along a very slippery mountain side and had a hard time with just their packs. The whole time I was wondering how the camera guy was walking backwards to get the shots! Sad to say we missed the last episode. Hope they rerun the series worth watching again.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Heh Sidd, I didn't realize that Flat Stanley was so old and well travelled. :-D
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am

It was his great uncle whom he was named after. :yh:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:56 am

:CS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:01 am

Cheryl did you notice that some of the porters walked barefoot. It was pretty amazing how they carried all that stuff.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am

sidd finch wrote:Cheryl did you notice that some of the porters walked barefoot. It was pretty amazing how they carried all that stuff.

Sidd

Yes, and couldn't believe they navigated all types of terrain barefoot.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:56 pm

The last episode was really good, they all started to get along much better and when they walked through the town of Ujiji it looked like the whole town came to greet them it was pretty intense. I wonder if it was staged or natural. Mark Burnett's team has an uncanny way of getting the "shot" they had camera's everywhere as if expecting something. but it was still really cool. I was taken aback when one of my kids who was wathcing with me said that this was much better than Sponge Bob. That impressed me. Go History Channel.
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Better than Sponge Bob! Wow, that is a compliment :lol: Hope the finale is rerun soon, sorry we missed it. Ice Road Truckers is a good series too. My 19yo has been watching the History Channel for years. Surprised that she isn't a history major. Good that your young ones appreciate better tv shows.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Water Cooler