They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

NEW SOUND CONCEPT

Talk about anything here.

NEW SOUND CONCEPT

Postby dalelpaq » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:26 am

Tried something new yesterday that others may be interested in. My cam, Canon HV30, does great video but really bad sound. The built-in mike is useless. Adding an external mike works but distance from the subject becomes problematic unless I want to tow around a 25 foot cord or put out for a wireless mike. What I did was simply this - I set up my laptop in the vicinity of the subject (hidden) and attached an inexpensive shotgun to the mike input (any mike would have worked). Using the free download Audacity, I started the cam and Audacity recording more or less at the same time and then used a simple clap of my hands in view of the cam before the dialog started. When finished, I exported the audio recording to a file on my main computer, downloaded the video there as well. I opened the video in PE, unlinked the video and the sound, and removed the sound. Then I added the sound file from the laptop and with minimal effort, synch'ed up the claps. Worked perfectly! Good luck. Dale
dalelpaq
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: NEW SOUND CONCEPT

Postby Bobby » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 am

Sounds Interesting Dale - thanks.

But I wonder why this would be better than just attaching the mic to the camera input?

Also because I have no issue with the audio from my HV30, either with the built-in mic or with the Canon shotgun for it (forget the model number). What are you hearing specifically that makes you feel the HV30 audio is wanting?

Thanks...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby dalelpaq » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 am

Much of what I shoot ends up being hand-held and every touch to the camera gets recorded. Also, even on a tripod, any breeze at all ruins the sound.

I think one of the advantages of using a separate recorder is breaking the tether to the camera thus allowing complete freedom of movement.

Anyway, no need for all occasions, but useful, I think, on occasion. Dale
dalelpaq
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:30 am

I use my 5th generation iPod with a mic called iTalk from Griffin to do the same thing. The iTalk mic also has a 1/4 jack so that I can plug in and use a shotgun mic. the files are recorded as WAV and I just down load them when I am done. The iPod makes things a little less bulky.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Greg mgm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:08 am

Sid- I'm so glad you posted that. I've always wanted a hand held recorder, and considered buying a Zoom or similar. And I've always wanted an Itouch....so this application is perfect.

How clean/ clear are the recordings?
I didn't see the mic on the Griffin site...is it a separate item?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Greg,

I found mine on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technolog ... 714&sr=8-3

The mic's in the iTalk are stereo condenser that work pretty well for voice. It has a hard time with loud sounds. It records in the iPod under voice memo and works really well. I have also plugged in my Rode video mic: http://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic-Dir ... 919&sr=8-1 and that works really well too.

What I like is that it is so small and easy to use plus I did not have to purchase a seperate recorder.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Greg mgm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:27 pm

That could be an excellent solution for me.

Thanks a lot for the links.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler