They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating a Flipping Book With a Great Page Turn

Talk about anything here.

Creating a Flipping Book With a Great Page Turn

Postby Chris B » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 am

The process is basically in two parts - first to create “Pages” and second, the scene. I created my movie in widescreen mode because that’s the format of my telly - also the pages can be “wider”.

First the pages

Find a book background. I put “book” into Google images and used the first one!

Find the colour of the books’ pages (RGB or whatever) I did this using MSPaint but I’m sure Photoshop will work as well. For each video construct a full frame “page”. Each page must be made one at a time and exported (Movie > export). I constructed the pages so that the odd pages were to the right of the centre line and even page to the left. I used a colour matte of the colour obtained above as my background.

The Scene

Create a new project and add your pages and book to the media bin. Place the book on the timeline with its centre line in the middle of the frame. At any given time up to three pages are visible. Two pages in the book and the page being turned. At the start and end there are less pages. I’ll describe a mid-section (Turning page 3 over to reveal pages 4 and 5). For the start and end you can remove one or the other end pages.

Page 2 should be placed on the book and cropped (50% right) to fit on the page. Likewise for page 5 except cropped 50% left. Page 3 is cropped as page 5. Apply “Basic 3d” to page 3 and keyframe “Swivel” from 0 to 90. Then replace page 3 with page 4 on the timeline and keyframe from -90 to 0. Rinse and repeat. Once you have one page tun red you can “paste attributes” to the appropriate other pages to save a lot of time.

I have a colour matte as the background because my image is not quite big enough and I exported the whole movie so that I could speed up the result. Add a quick bit of music and Robert is your father’s brother - as they say.

I found that if crop was below basic 3d in the effects, then the video moved around strangely but when it was above it, everything was OK.

I hope that this helps someone,Chris B
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: Creating a Flipping Book With a Great Page Turn

Postby Helen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks will give this a try
=D>
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Good information. This one is bookmarked.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby BuddyB » Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 am

Very nice work Chris thank you..gotta' make a template of this one. =D>
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler