They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need help with my website.

Talk about anything here.

Need help with my website.

Postby Doreen L. » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:51 pm

I wasn't quite sure as to which catagory I should place this under cause it's not directly related to video editing but I would appreciate some imput. I've recently started my own website for people who are into sailing in my area and enjoy the many videos I've done on sailing. Anyhow, I've been using a program called Site Spinner to create the site because I really don't know anything about code, etc. and it has worked out great.

Right now I'm in the process of redesigning my simple homepage and I would like to embed a simple slide show that shows no viewer controls. Since I only have PE2, I can only export to WMV but the controls show up even if I check not to show controls in Site Spinner. The new version of Pro Show Gold exports to flash and Quicktime but the flash won't loop and Quicktime keeps flashing the Quicktime logo each time it loops.

Does anyone know of a free software that I could do this with or may have any other suggestions. Thanks. :lol:
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:04 pm

I am not familiar with Site Spinner but there must be a way to show the slideshow without controls. I'm sure Ron will respond at some point, I am sure there is a simple answer. You might have to learn a little code eventually :wink:
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:35 am

Hi Doreen,

Is this what you're looking for - Sample Slideshow

I did that a couple of years ago playing with Photo Story 3.

Put this code on your page where you want the slideshow to be :

Code: Select all
<object id="mmplayer1" width=640 height=500 classid="clsid:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"
codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#version=5,1,52,701"
standby="loading microsoft windows media player components..." type="application/x-oleobject">
<param name="filename" value="YOURvideo.wmv">
<param name="showcontrols" value="0">
<param name="showstatusbar" value="0">
<param name="showdisplay" value="0">
<param name="displaysize" value="0">
<param name="autostart" value="1">
<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/download/default.asp" src="YOURvideo.wmv" name="mmplayer1" autostart="1" showcontrols="0" showdisplay="0" showstatusbar="0" defaultframe="slide" width="640" height="500">
</embed></object>

Obviously you'll want to change the src value and adjust the size parameters to your liking. If it's a fairly large video, you may want to at least change the 'showstatusbar' value to "1" - this will give an indication that the video is loading. Click here - Here's what it looks like, not too intrusive.

Also, make sure that if you change a setting, to change it in both the <object> and the <embed> tags; browser differences.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doreen L. » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:50 am

Yes! That's what I'm looking to do. Now all I have to do is execute it onto a page. I'm gonna try to play around with this later. You may be hearing from me. LOL Thanks Ron!
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:29 am

Doreen, check out this site. It's free, and you can host your photos with them (unlimited space) or use photos from your PC. It has some transactions and styles, and when you're done it gives you the code to embed it into your website. I'm going to use it to make slide shows for a blog.

http://www.slide.com/
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Doreen L. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Another possibility. For the time being, I exported a slide show I created in PE2 to Quicktime and was able to embed that with my software without the controls showing. When I upload it, I'll provide the link to see what you guys think.
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 pm

Love the Avitar Ed :)
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Thanks! I made it about 3 years ago for my old website design. It actually looks like me.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:44 pm

It certainly does, good job :!:
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Doreen L. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:04 am

Well, here's my latest update. Quicktime uploaded and played without controls just fine but every time you open that page I get the prompt from IE7 'Allow Active X,etc?". Of course, this is real pain in the you know what for anyone using IE. Soooo, I went back to Ron's code and entered the two parameters to hide the controls and.....It worked on my test page!!!!

I am curious if there is any way to get around this Active X thing? I have been reading some things on the internet that it is a problem with Microsoft security but was wondering if there are any workarounds to this on IE?
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 am

Just wait till you see Vista :shock:
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Vista

Postby Maxine370 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:04 am

CHuck,

DO tell. I've been wondering if Vista is worth the upgrade? What will it do? (babysitting, housework and food shopping would be nice but i'd settle for enhanced editing features)
:lol:
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ed » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:04 am

You could disable the prompt in the browser security settings, but that is something each person viewing the page would have to do. If you embed flash the secutiry message doesn't pop up. Maybe you should try one of the flash alternatives if this bothers you. I'm going to try the link to the free site this weekend, and I can post my commetns on it if you want.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:10 am

ed wrote:If you embed flash the secutiry message doesn't pop up.

Incorrect, Ed. Nothing really "pops up" but the Active-X requiring permission is still there.

It can be overcome, but it takes a bit of advanced "stuff" to take care of. If it's that important, I can try to do a step by step. Flash 8 recently had an upgrade to counter the message. Essentially, it needs some JavaScript.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doreen L. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:04 pm

If it's something complicated, forget about it. It looks like WMV will work fine. And all my regulars who are Mac users have downloaded the patch to make WMP work on their Macs.

I'm wondering what the output formula is on these slideshow recommendations and if the Active X would be a problem with them as well. I didn't check that.

This web disign thing can really drive you nuts until you get the hang of things. I spent over an hour this morning trying to figure out how to correctly set up a page so it adjusts to an individual browser's resolution. It looks like I got that straightened out.
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Water Cooler