They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

odd format with phone photos

Talk about anything here.

odd format with phone photos

Postby videovillageidiot » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi all!! I was trying to copy some photos I took on my cell phone and discovered many were in a heic format. Never heard of it and when I looked online, most of what I found seemed to tie it to an iPhone. Hmmm - my phone is a Samsung.

It looks like photos taken through July 11 are jpg format. After that they are heic format. I have no idea what I did to change things on my phone and would love any
thoughts on how it may have happened and what I need to do to change back to jpg.

I did discover that i can view the heic photos in Windows photos app and do a save as to make them a png, tiff or jpg format. That will be a bit of work since I took a lot of photos since the change happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: odd format with phone photos

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:42 am

Hi Sherrin, I believe that HEIC is a setting in camera options.

Touch the Camera icon then open the settings (looks like a cogwheel). Select 'Advanced picture options' then toggle 'off' the High efficiency pictures option. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:51 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Hi Sherrin, I believe that HEIC is a setting in camera options.

Touch the Cmera icon then open the settings (looks like a cogwheel). Select 'Advanced picture options' then toggle 'off' the High efficiency pictures option. :-D

THANKS John!! I'll give that a try. It's so strange - I certainly think I would remember if I had changed a setting. I must be getting old. :(
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:02 am

Could have been "reset" by a Samsung/Android software update(?)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:06 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Could have been "reset" by a Samsung/Android software update(?)

I had thought of that but the change to heic format happened during my time in Alaska - far far away from a cell signal to get an update. Hmmm...the mystery continues.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:24 am

You might check the date stamp on the pictures to pinpoint the date the pictures changed format. That might jog your memory if you remember anything.

Sidd

"The Case of the Camera Settings"
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler