They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How do people distribute their products ?

Talk about anything here.

How do people distribute their products ?

Postby n9jcr » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been a Premiere Elements user for many years, happily comfortable in my admittedly antiquated DVD workflow. Most of my projects are small, maybe 30 minutes or so but I get the occasional 60-90 minute project which is pushing it as far as DVD capacity / quality goes. There's only one thing stopping me from moving to an HD product and that as I don't know a way I can create videos and distribute them online without inviting piracy. Of course there's nothing stopping people form cloning DVDs too but that's not simple for most people. If I put my video on YouTube (for example) and provide a link to the video, my concern is that my customers could then share it with whoever they want.

So my question to the group is: what are you using to distribute your products in such a way as to at least minimize the opportunity for someone to pirate them? I should also say I'm not looking to host a service myself, so it would be YouTube or something that is generally available already.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Bob
n9jcr
New User
New User

Re: How do people distribute their products ?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:01 pm

Good question. The only thing that springs to my mind is a watermark on the video. Maybe others will have better suggestions. :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:42 am

Vimeo has a paid service that allows the user to specify who can view the file.

Share videos: Add members directly to your videos or share them with an unlisted link. For added security, you can lock your videos with a password. You can also specify which websites have permissions to embed your videos.

Set viewer permissions lets you choose exactly who can access your video before its even finished uploading. You can choose to share your video with specific individuals only, lock it with a password, or hide it from everyone but you. When you set specific restrictions even if they forward the e-mail the link will not work.

The plan I am on allows for 5GB per week of uploads. For me I can then record high quality videos and send links. If something changes I can always block the video at the source and it cannot be viewed anymore. Lots of control.

But if someone wants to copy a video regardless there is not a foolproof way to stop them.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 am

While there are ways to somewhat protect your media from being copied, they're ultimately about as effective as putting a padlock on your tool shed. If someone wants to steal from you, there are pretty simple ways. For better or worse, virtually all media shared online is pretty easy to copy.

Ask any musician who posts a promo video of his song on YouTube.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby n9jcr » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:59 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate the information. Vimeo's Standard Plan looks to be exactly what I want - outright sale, not a subscription or rental. I need to look into the details but at a high level they say they can set it up the way I need it. I'll post again as I get further along in case this is of interest to others.

And Steve you are certainly right, I know nothing would be bullet-proof but a You-Tube solution was just a little uncomfortable for me.

Thanks!

Bob
n9jcr
New User
New User

Return to Water Cooler