They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Translating video from another language

Talk about anything here.

Translating video from another language

Postby SWard » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:43 pm

Hi guys. It's been awhile for me, but I'm hoping to get back into working with my videos again soon. I love how this website is still so positive and I still recognize many of the names/userids! I'm wondering if anyone has done any video where you needed to do some translating (language)?

I have some video that I recorded in Germany back in 1999. It's of a distant relative of mine speaking in German to one of my uncles. My uncle understood it that day, but he's not sure if he can translate it for me today. He's willing to try though. I didn't understand a word but wanted to record it in case it was important. I think he was describing how his family had to walk across countries to get back into Germany when he was younger.

I'm wondering how the best way to do it would be. I'm picturing me putting what he says as text (in English) on top of the video of him speaking German, but how do I know what words go with what part of the video. Does that make sense? I'm also trying to decide how I get the video to my uncle - of course he lives a few states away from me so getting together with him isn't easy. Maybe cutting it up into many little video clips so I know what words go with what part of the video? Sending him the entire video?

Has anyone tried to do something like this before? Any recommendations for me?

Thanks,
Sue
Dell XPS 600; PentiumD Processor 930 w/ Dual Core (3.0 GHz,800 FSB); 2Gb RAM; 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX Video; 500Gb Performance RAID 0; 250Gb Serial ATA HD (Internal); 500Gb WD External; 1TB WD External; XP Media Center 2005 Ed SP2
SWard
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Translating video from another language

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:23 pm

You might consider exporting the file to an audio MP3 file (not sure how clean the recording is) then try a speech transcription software to convert to English. Looks like Google has a free audio translation app for android phones. https://techxplore.com/news/2020-03-goo ... any%20says.

But there are a lot of programs out there.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:26 am

Just a suggestion.

Is there a German ex-pat group locally, or perhaps a college/school that teaches German?

As Sidd suggests, you could export the audio to an .mp3 file and ask for the translation.

I accept that correctly re-aligning the translation with the original German commentary could be tricky but if there is a group/college etc. locally they might be willing to help you with that.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby ed » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:52 am

If you upload the video to YouTube it's fairly easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZz03myFuWA
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SWard » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate it. I never even thought about trying a translation app/program.

Ed, that's a great suggestion. It's going to be interesting to see what they come up with.

Sue
:tx:
Dell XPS 600; PentiumD Processor 930 w/ Dual Core (3.0 GHz,800 FSB); 2Gb RAM; 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX Video; 500Gb Performance RAID 0; 250Gb Serial ATA HD (Internal); 500Gb WD External; 1TB WD External; XP Media Center 2005 Ed SP2
SWard
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Sue, if you use the YouTube solution please post back on how it went. I recently used that solution, in Spanish, for a federal client and it worked great. Google told me that the Western languages are pretty much ‘spot on’, so I’m curious how German translates.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler