They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Lightweight Phone Gimbal with a Built-in Light

Talk about anything here.

Lightweight Phone Gimbal with a Built-in Light

Postby sidd finch » Fri May 28, 2021 10:09 am

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Lightweight Phone Gimbal with a Built-in Light

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2021 11:14 am

Looks like it's pretty well thought out and appears to be good quality, but it's a monster in size. I thought I wanted to use my phone with a phone gimbal, but now it's all GoPro for me.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri May 28, 2021 11:57 am

I thought I wanted to use my phone with a phone gimbal, but now it's all GoPro for me.

Welcome to the exciting world of GoPro... brother.... :gl:

I will say that after watching a couple of your videos with your iPhone it made me reconsider using it to record video. What I like is the non-fisheye look and the ability to use an anamorphic lens. Filmic Pro is also a big factor.

But the simplicity ease of use and the the durability and size make the GoPro a winner for me. I probably record 90% of my videos on GoPro.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2021 12:35 pm

sidd finch wrote:Welcome to the exciting world of GoPro... brother.... :gl:
I will say that after watching a couple of your videos with your iPhone it made me reconsider using it to record video. What I like is the non-fisheye look and the ability to use an anamorphic lens. Filmic Pro is also a big factor.
But the simplicity ease of use and the the durability and size make the GoPro a winner for me. I probably record 90% of my videos on GoPro.

I agree that the phones do have certain advantages. But in the phone gimbal that I have, it takes some fiddling to put the phone into it and get it properly balanced. And if you're using a separate mic then you have to plug that in, too, and make sure the mic cord isn't binding. And heaven forbid you should need to use your phone all of a sudden.

Filmic Pro is nice, and I wouldn't use the phone to record without it. I'll still use it when I'm in a situation where I unexpectedly want photos or video and don't have the GoPro at hand.

When I did that 779 video I was surprised to see that I had a significant amount of fish-eye effect. I have the GoPro set for Linear + Horizon Leveling, which I thought would be fish-eye free, but it's not (GoPro says that mode is wide field of view without the fish-eye efffect but that's not my experience so far, Maybe they mean without as much fish-eye effect?). I'd use the Narrow setting except that I really like the Horizon Leveling for smoothness and stability. Can't quite figure out why they didn't make a Narrow + Horizon Leveling mode. :-k

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri May 28, 2021 12:58 pm

Dave I think using the narrow setting crops a lot of the sensor and the result is a softer image. I would suggest using the wide setting in the GoPro then in Premiere the distortion can be quickly and easily corrected by using the Lens Distortion Removal effect.

That way you are recording on a larger portion of the sensor.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2021 1:17 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave I think using the narrow setting crops a lot of the sensor and the result is a softer image. I would suggest using the wide setting in the GoPro then in Premiere the distortion can be quickly and easily corrected by using the Lens Distortion Removal effect. That way you are recording on a larger portion of the sensor.

Is that really what you do? It sounds like a pain to have to modify every video. And I do like the Horizon Leveling for the kinds of things that I do regularly.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri May 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Dave I use Linear and don't mind the fisheye. I guess I am used to it. But I do use the narrow when I am using a macro lens.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2021 1:36 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave I use Linear and don't mind the fisheye. I guess I am used to it. But I do use the narrow when I am using a macro lens.

It's not a lot, but I was surprised to see it at all in the linear mode. Having said that, for the most part it doesn't bother me either. For the time being I think I'll stick with this mode unless I find that it bothers me in the future.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 29, 2021 4:09 pm

Dave I am so psyched you have embraced the GoPro camera. I hope your journey with it is as rewarding as mine has been.

I have been able to record videos I never could have made with a bigger camera. Or been as discrete too

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler