They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Dust to Dust

Talk about anything here.

Dust to Dust

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Well sad to say our English Walnut tree dies and had to be cut down. After years of producing many many walnuts it just got old and died. The termites did not waste ant time devouring the branches. Having been inspired by Ed's black and white drone video of the graveyard in Boyds so I decided it might make a good inspiration to do some macro shots in black and white. The dead branches really lend themselves to a stark shot.

Recorded with a Sony RX0 II with various macro lenses. I think with my spring vacation coming to an end my volume of videos will likely subside for a while.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Dust to Dust

Postby ed » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:07 pm

I love the contrast with the black and white, and how it brings out the grain.

Sad about the tree. I have two ornamental cherry trees I have to bring down this spring, I took one down a few springs ago. Makes me sad.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Sorry that your tree died. This was an excellent use of the B&W, and the macro of the termite damage was fascinating. Don't know that I've ever seen anything quite like it. A big thumbs up!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Thank you Ed and Dave, I agree the black and white really makes it pop. And I was surprised at how eaten up the branch was. But in a way it looked really cool. I am thinking that if the trunk is in halfway decent shape I might try to make a guitar out of it. That way it would be a cool memory to have. And English walnut is decent wood to make instruments out of.

Below is a cross section of one of the smaller branches so you can see what it looked like. It kind of reminds me of the 45 rpm record inserts.

Sidd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:18 pm

The black/white and somber music fits perfect with the death of a lovely tree. The photo you posted really shows damage!! The video showed all of the little mazes the termites created. Sorry for your loss.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:47 pm

Sidd, you are a true artist! Thank you for sharing so many of your studies with us.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:53 am

The photo you posted really shows damage!

Thanks Mom I am actually kind of excited to try and repurpose the tree so it is not a complete waste. I am excited about seeing what kind of shape the trunk is in.

Sidd, you are a true artist! Thank you for sharing so many of your studies with us.

Steve you are too kind. Of course Muvipix is a really cool place to get inspired and just plain have some fun.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 pm

That cross-section might make an interesting coffee table, or wall art.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:20 pm

Thanks RJ, For the branches I am testing out if I can make coasters with some resin. Whatever it ends up as I will share a picture.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler