They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rescued old net book with Linux Mint

Talk about anything here.

Rescued old net book with Linux Mint

Postby ed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:25 pm

Six years ago my organization relaxed the remote access rules to your desktop, so I went to Best Buy and bought the cheapest net book I could find to be a dedicated device to login and access my desktop - an HP Stream 11 with a whopping 11.6 inch screen, 2 GB ram, 32 GB SSD drive and one terabyte of cloud storage. I added a 64 GB SD card for additional storage. Within a year of getting it HP discontinued their cloud service and the one terabyte storage I was given. Then, Microsoft had a major update to Windows 10 for a security fix, and I did not have enough space to do the update, and could not use it for accessing the office :mad:

It's been sitting in a desk drawer since then. Yesterday I pulled it out and wiped Windows and installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop. It is now a useable device again :-D I've never used Ubuntu before, but I am really impressed, it's a pretty peppy OS. It has a very small footprint, a little over 7 GB, and includes everything you really need as far as software and admin tools. I really like the admin tools interface. This version kind of has a Windows 97 look. I installed Chrome, Microsoft Teams, and Gimp on it.

Anyway, I thought someone with an old crappy laptop may be interested in making it useful again. I can understand now why so many folks outside of the US use Ubuntu.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Rescued old net book with Linux Mint

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:09 pm

Good story Ed. I have a Android tablet. Wonder if I can load Linux mint on it?
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Rescued old net book with Linux Mint

Postby ed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:34 pm

I doubt it treetops. There is a Ubuntu build called touch that is supposed to do that, but I have no experience with it. If you go to their website you can see if your device is compatible.

https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler