They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Steve's latest book isn't about video editing

Talk about anything here.

Steve's latest book isn't about video editing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 am

As a winter Covid project, I proposed to some local Facebook friends that we put together a book of memories of growing up in small town Ohio in the 1960s. More than two dozen people responded with stories and pictures, and I'm really proud of the result.

If you're at all interested, it's dirt cheap on Amazon. And free to preview.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TZ7DK9R?re ... _397514860

Great fun, huh?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Steve's latest book isn't about video editing

Postby ed » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:59 am

That's cool, it was such a different experience for us then are kids had Steve. I bought the Kindle version, I can leave a review after I read it if you want.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:39 am

Cool Steve I also purchased a kindle copy of your book too. Looking forward to the read.

If this is like your PE books I am guessing I will be able to get around Wooster like a local... :CS: Which means I should be able to find out the locations of witness protection movie you made as a kid (sorry forgot the name)
... yesssss

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm

You won't be disappointed Sidd. I just read the first 20 pages while attending yet another Zoom meeting, and feel like I could navigate the town :-D

It's funny how small towns back then seemed to have the same types of stores, although with different names. I loved going to the hobby store in my home town, although your town was a metropolis compared to mine Steve. The quote that mentioned 'trash can Annie' struck me. We had Percy in our town. He was an old man that would sit in front of the Rexall, which we would ride our bikes to to get 5 cent cherry cokes at the counter. He scared the hell out of us. He would wear 4-5 winter coats even if it was 90 degrees outside, and carried around a stack of very old newspapers. I never heard him say a word. I found out later in high school that he was a WWI veteran that was shell shocked. It tuned out he was actually fairly well off. My high school sweethearts dad took care of his finances for him and made sure he was taken care of, basically just looking out for another vet.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:39 am

In downtown Milwaukee about 20 years ago, I used to see these two old ladies. They were clearly twins, and they always dressed alike in light blue jackets with white mittens. All day every day I'd see them walking around downtown, pulling a suitcase on wheels behind them.

I finally sent an email to a local radio station. They read it on the air and invited their listeners to tell these women's stories.

It seems they were twins. One was legally blind, so the other constantly led her around. They weren't poor but they weren't wealthy either. They just lived together downtown and went for walks whenever the weather would allow.

Love these kinds of local stories!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:45 pm

After enjoying the first few pages of Steve's book it reminds me a program I have been watching on Amazon Prime. Its a 1/2 hour show called Still Standing with Jonny Harris.

"Still Standing" is a mix of a comedy series and a reality series and features actor and comedian Jonny Harris. Harris travels across Canada to discover the hidden gems in small towns. He takes a heart-warming journey to find humor in the unlikeliest of places. He immerses himself into the town's culture as well as into the lives of its residents. He unearths tall tales during his stay before hosting a stand-up comedy routine to help draw attention to these small towns.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:21 pm

I definitely hope to check it out, Sidd! If I can stop working for half an hour...
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 am

Steve you are the Stephen King of "How-to Books" you are so prolific. :conf:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:37 am

I was surprised to learn recently that in the past 10 years I've managed to publish more than four dozen books! Now, granted, many of those are just updates to books on previous versions of software but --- Dang! I'm a regular cottage industry!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:54 am

Congrats on the new book Steve! I started a journal right before Covid with random memories. One page memories that I thought my daughters may enjoy reading when I'm gone. They are random in order because I jot something down when it pops in my head. I am keeping it all positive memories.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ed » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:32 pm

Steve, cancelled postage stamps were collected for charity. They were sold to collectors. I hadn't thought of that until I read your remark, but I remember it now.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:42 pm

Wow! Thanks for clearing up a 50 year old mystery, ed!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:13 pm

I'm up to the 'TV, Radio, and the Daily Record' chapter. We had a guy like Ghoulardi around Baltimore, but he was more of a science fiction host. I would have loved this guy!

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:04 pm

That's Cleveland's Ghoulardi, all right! He was so popular that other affiliates picked up the show.

His real name was Ernie Anderson, and after he moved to California he became the voice of ABC TV in the 1970s in and 80s. Remember "Tonight on.... The Looooooove Boat." That was him.

His son, Paul Thomas Anderson, is a terrific is somewhat eccentric movie director. He calls his production company Ghoulardi Productions.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:52 pm

My book has been met with great response.

So, just because I can't leave well enough alone, here's a sampling of the book read in my best Ohio accent.

Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Water Cooler