They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Analog Photography

Talk about anything here.

Analog Photography

Postby ed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:16 pm

This could turn out to be the loneliest topic on Muvipix. I don't know if anyone else that visits is still doing film photography, but I would love to see your work and any tips.I love being thoughtful with each shot.

This Christmas I got C41 chemicals and a sous vide (for temperature control) from my wife. I developed my first roll of color film ever yesterday, and I must say it's easier then doing B&W film.

IMG_0302.jpg

2020_A_082x.jpg

2020_A_080x.jpg

2020_A_084x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Analog Photography

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:39 pm

Not only are you developing film, you're developing COLOR film, ed!

Wow!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:07 pm

This could turn out to be the loneliest topic on Muvipix

Ed, I for one am most happy to read about your analog adventures through film camera.

Now how do you get that drone to lift an analog camera and get a pic that you develop... lol

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:57 am

sidd finch wrote:Now how do you get that drone to lift an analog camera and get a pic that you develop... Sidd

...and, unless you have a motor drive, having to keep landing to wind forward to the next frame could get a bit tedious
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby ed » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:00 am

That would be a sight to see Sidd! I'm taking the new drone out for the first time late this afternoon after I visit my Father. Just will try to figure out the controls.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:08 pm

This is cool, Ed. Is this print film or slides? If print, are you also developing your own prints? I'm wondering how you got from the film to the pics you posted. My dad had a darkroom and we would develop B&W negative film and make prints, often up to 11x14. He always said that developing color print film and prints was more difficult because it required more chemicals and closer control of temperatures, but we never tried it.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi Dave,

These are color negative taken with Kodak Proimage 100 film and a Minolta Hi-Matic G camera I bought in college, I think 1978. It's a point and shoot, but it's a great camera to slip in a jacket pocket.

I don't have a darkroom. I use a daylight developing tank and scan the negatives. I wish I could do prints, that was my favorite thing to do in photography classes. There's a lab you can rent time in at a federal park near me, but they've been closed because of Covid.

The toughest thing with color developing is you need a constant temp for the chemicals, usually 102 degrees, and there is a bleach agent involved. I got a sous vide for my holiday gift to keep the temp, keeping the chemical bottles in a water bath.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:29 am

ed wrote:These are color negative taken with Kodak Proimage 100 film and a Minolta Hi-Matic G camera I bought in college, I think 1978. It's a point and shoot, but it's a great camera to slip in a jacket pocket.
I don't have a darkroom. I use a daylight developing tank and scan the negatives. I wish I could do prints, that was my favorite thing to do in photography classes. There's a lab you can rent time in at a federal park near me, but they've been closed because of Covid.
The toughest thing with color developing is you need a constant temp for the chemicals, usually 102 degrees, and there is a bleach agent involved. I got a sous vide for my holiday gift to keep the temp, keeping the chemical bottles in a water bath.[/img]

Thanks Ed! Appreciate the info.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:26 am

This is a great video explaining how to use a spot meter in film photography. I have a Minolta meter, but the nice thing about the one he's using is you don't have to change attachments to go from incident to spot metering. He's also so correct that you're best to slightly over expose film. I think digital is the reverse from that because you can't recover the blown out highlights.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:29 am

Here's a photo of my Dad from last weekend I used the incident light attachment on. I've been a little lazy and used either a phone app or the camera meter (if it has one) lately. Camera is Yashicaflex B, film is Kodak Porta 160 shoot at box speed.

https://flic.kr/p/2koDoUm
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 pm

I really enjoyed using film cameras. It was a surprise to find out if the picture you took was any good (relative term) You had to really make sure the shot was worth it to take.

But now I have been shooting on my Casio QV-10 and it is such a cool experience.

It has a fixed focus, rotating F2.0 lens, which is equivalent to 60mm. The price is around $750, which is a bargain. Photos are captured by a 1/5" CCD, which produces photos at a gigantic resolution of 320 x 240. The QV-10 has no memory card, instead saving photos to its 16Mbit (2MB) of built-in memory. Cameras does not capture movies but I love it. :CS:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:09 pm

You always have been cutting edge Sidd

Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm

Sweet rig Sidd. Another advantage you have is that the image file sizes probably don't take up a lot of space on your MySpace site,

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 am

Another advantage you have is that the image file sizes probably don't take up a lot of space on your MySpace site

Amen to that. It also makes it easier to send pictures to my friend through Hotmail (upgraded from my Lycos account). Gosh I love this technology.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:03 pm

sidd finch wrote:Amen to that. It also makes it easier to send pictures to my friend through Hotmail (upgraded from my Lycos account). Gosh I love this technology.

I still use AOL dialup myself.

Dave McElderry

Next

Return to Water Cooler