They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Analog Photography

Talk about anything here.

Re: Analog Photography

Postby ed » Sun May 16, 2021 9:14 am

If you have 17 minutes to spare Peru this kids video explanation of his Bachelor thesis explains the 'hand saw'.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sun May 16, 2021 11:57 am

I guess the operative word is "authenticity."
I also noticed that B&W seems to be dominant.
Peru

Postby ed » Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 pm

I went out yesterday with my Yashicaflex B TLR (from 1953) and tried Ilford FP4+ 125 ISO film for the first time. I shot these at 100 ISO, and I like the look, will but more of this film stock. I didn't adjust the highlights, which are a little blown out, these are straight from the negative. Love this film.

Not great photos, but I saw a lot of wildlife; mallard ducks, brown trout, fox, geese, egret - so it was a great walk.

littleseneca.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed May 19, 2021 2:18 pm

ed,I like the tone of those. The compositions are really nice, too. Do you process the film yourself?
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 19, 2021 3:08 pm

Not great photos, but I saw a lot of wildlife; mallard ducks, brown trout, fox, geese, egret - so it was a great walk.

That is a recipe for me and my gopro. Especially underwater

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Thu May 20, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks RJ. The tone comes from slightly overexposing the film at a little less then the box speed, and of course the strong sun and shadows. It was around 3:30 PM when I took these. This film is supposed to have great latitude, so no worries shooting a little over or under. I develop my film at home. For B&W I mostly use Sprint Standard developer ( a family owned business in Rhode Island) because I like it's consistency across film types and have very good customer service. If I shoot Adox film I use their developer.

Haha Sidd, it usually seems to go that way right!
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:56 am

Camera spotlight - Olympus Trip 35

This may be my favorite camera, it's almost impossible to take a bad photo with it, and I always keep film in it. It is totally automatic which frees you from having to think too much about taking a photo, except for estimating distance. Mine is from 1979 or 1980, I can't remember but I know it's from my university days. It's small enough to easily put in a jacket pocket, and fits easily in your hand when walking around, making it great for vacation snapshots and just carrying it around. You can pick one up for under $100, but will probably have to replace the light seals (very easy to do with items you can buy at a hobby store).

It is a zone focus camera, with settings to help guide you with the correct distance for the exposure; head shot, head and shoulder shot, group shot (head to feet) and infinity. After a while setting it becomes second nature. For street photography I leave it at the group shot setting (about 10 feet). It has an excellent 40mm lens that is really sharp. F stops go from 2.8 to 22, but that is paired with only two shutter speeds (40 and 200). If the meter can't make a correct exposure with the available shutter speeds and stops it won't let you take the photo - I love that!

It's best feature is that the meter is powered by a selenium photo cell which uses available light, so no battery is required! That's one thing that makes this such a good travel camera.

I highly recommend this camera if you want to casually get into film photography.

Here's a short slide show I made about my camera and it's features:

Here's an old TV ad just for fun:

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:17 am

Love the TV ad :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:10 am

Finally got around to developing the color film I had stocked up. I like to wait until I get 5 or 6 rolls exposed.

This exciting slideshow of photos detailing the removal of our underground oil tank are a good example of the Olympus Trip 35's excellent meter.

Luckily the EPA found no oil leakage in our soil.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 am

Glad to hear no oil spills. But I was curious the soil looks especially orange. Is that the natural color or is it coming from the camera? In the slide show the soil almost looks the same shade as the tractor.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:51 am

That is the true color of the soil Sidd. Our area has a very clay based soil, unfortunately. I have to add yards of top soil every year for our garden because of this. We did not have a garden this year because the machinery to remove the tank needed to come through it.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:55 am

It's always amazing to watch someone who knows how to finesse a backhoe. A powerful piece of equipment that can do some pretty delicate things with the right operator. Glad to hear the project went well for you. Nice vid!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:38 pm

Thanks Dave. He was literally inches from the foundation and the air conditioning unit, pretty amazing. What's even more impressive is that their regular operator was on vacation, so this person filled in. He's retired and 74 years old; I hope I'm that steady when get to that age.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:56 pm

construction and machinery always looks easy until you try to do something yourself and realize how much skill and finesse is required. I agree on being spry in my later years.

There is a place in Vegas called Dig This where you can run big machinery with no experience. Looks cool.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:01 am

I saw this a few years ago Sidd, and told my wife if we ever get out there I want to do this.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler