They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Analog Photography

Talk about anything here.

Re: Analog Photography

Postby sidd finch » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:09 pm

That is a really nice photo Ed. Looks quite a bit clearer than some of the other pictures you have posted. The detail is quite nice.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Haha! I want you to do our next code review Sidd!

I took these with my best camera. It has lock down 16 zone focus lock. Most of my cameras are 70-50 years old, with either zone focus or best guess. I like those because the photos pretty much mimic what they would have been back in the day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Ed a modern camera...... bite my tongue.... next think you will be telling of flying them letric drones.... lol

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:15 pm

The car photo has a wide range of grayscale, very nice! Do you see in black/white before shooting? There is a photographer that talked about this. The seeing the color scene in grayscale.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ed » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks Cheryl. I think a lot depends on the film stock, for example Ilford HP5+ is a lot grittier then the Adox Silvermax and the images would have had more dark undefined areas. I definitely try to view things how they would look in B&W as compared to color. I knew the Pontiac images would be good because the car was in bright shade, was a light electric blue, along with the contrasting chrome and rust. I tend to like blues and greens in B&W if I'm not using filters. I look for lighting, shades, and pattern in B&W. Also, because it's not as forgiving as color stock, if I have a dark and light scene I meter off of the dark when possible and let the highlights blow out usually. Depends on if I want a silhouette or not.

Most of what I've posted here is with very old cameras, unlike the camera I used here which is only 21 years old! I've been learning what they are good at, for example the Yashicaflex B is not good with a lot of sky and light. It is great with portraits and tighter images without a lot of sky at 5.6 to 11 stop.

Your Yashica camera will be good for black and white. It has a very good lens at 45mm/f1.7 and 6 elements, and you set the aperture.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:03 am

Ed with all those great pictures you have been taking it is enjoyable to see what you create. Not knowing very much about the black and white process it is really informative.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 pm

I would have liked to take some photos of your walnut tree Sidd. Great contrast in the right lighting. Looking forward to see what you make from it.

It's interesting to me how colors show in B&W film. In the photo below (same roll of film as the car) the plane body is tan, the engine cowling dark blue, and of course the prop black. The gentleman was wearing a yellow hat and medium orange shirt.

2021_092x.jpg

In this photo (same roll) the farm equipment is red rust with green mold in the sun. I metered off of the tree trunk and over exposed by half a stop to try and bring out the mold a little more.

2021_094x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Black and white photography is an art in itself. Adding filters on the lens will change things too. I have little knowledge and only play in Silver Effex from Nik Collection. I haven't tried out the Yashica yet. Waiting a month or so for the foliage to fill in.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ed » Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm

I would like to get this camera, but don't think I can justify the cost for how often I would use it. It would be fun to plan some artistic moving images though. I researched, and would most likely have to order it from Japan, which means about $30-35 shipping on top of the camera cost. About $160-180 in total. :(

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Thu May 13, 2021 1:27 pm

That looks like a pretty strange camera. None on Ebay in the US?

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Thu May 13, 2021 4:10 pm

I haven't seen any in the US Sidd. I don't believe they were sold here.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Fri May 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Fascinating camera Ed. Not sure if I would want to buy, but would be fun to try out. Or just use burst mode on a digital camera.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 15, 2021 11:22 am

I always thought it would be fun to try and use a cheap 126 film camera and see how good a shot I could get with it. I did see a guy on YouTube who was able to use a Fischer Price movie viewer to play his super 8 movies. by replacing the cartridge movie with he own.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Sat May 15, 2021 12:38 pm

I know I could do burst on digital Mom, but 1) that’s not film, 2) I like to develop film, 3) the limitations of the camera are a challenge, 4) scanning and cutting 16 images from a 35mm frame would be fun. That said, it’s hard to justify :(

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sat May 15, 2021 5:04 pm

ed wrote:I know I could do burst on digital Mom, but

I guess it's like choosing a hand saw instead of a power saw. ;)
Peru

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler