They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Christmas Star can be observed tonight.

Talk about anything here.

The Christmas Star can be observed tonight.

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:31 pm

The winter solstice and the first day of winter also brings The Christmas Star. Four days before Christmas, the sky will offer a sight that hasn't been seen since the Middle Ages and may have inspired one of the Bible's most famous stories. The two largest planets in the solar system, Jupiter and Saturn, will be so close to one another in the sky on Dec. 21 that they will appear to be fused into a single point of light.

The last time this is believed to have been witnessed was in the year 1226, according to Michael Shanahan, the director of the Liberty Science Center Planetarium in New Jersey. "The interesting thing about these long cycles in astronomy is that they come back at very different epochs of human history. "The event that happened in the Middle Ages in 1226 occurred before dawn, so there was about an hour and a half before the sun rose to see it."

The last time astronomers believe it was possibly visible was in 1623, but it occurred right at sunset and Shanahan said there is no record of anyone having noticed it because the two planets were lost in the light of the setting sun. There also has been speculation that the conjunction of the planets formed the "Christmas Star" or Star of Bethlehem that the three wise men in the Nativity story in the Bible were thought to have seen that inspired them to ultimately travel to Bethlehem for the birth of Jesus.

Get you night cameras ready...

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: The Christmas Star can be observed tonight.

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Not at our place - full cloud cover here
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Well bummer Dave. We have has some clear skies and so I was able to observe it Friday night, but tonight it should be much closer. If I can get a half way decent picture I will try to post it.

I also have been using an app called Star Walk with my smartphone. You select Planets and then raise the phone to the heavens and it will point out where the conjuncture is in the sky. I was also able to visually see it but the app confirmed I was looking in the right place.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Well I tried but it really only looks like a speck...

Sidd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Sorry to break this to ya Sidd, but that’s your neighbor going to his outhouse with a flashlight....
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Dave you might be right. I thought the star moved a bit too much in the sky... :conf:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:30 pm

Too cloudy here also.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:11 am

Sidd, is it that little dot above the 'i' in Christmas?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:44 am

Sidd, is it that little dot above the 'i' in Christmas?

John I think my picture is pretty much indistinguishable from this shot. They almost look like the same picture to me. :hyst:

sidd
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:10 pm

It was too cloudy here, also. But I did run Stellarium in real time and saw it that way. I'm sure that's what the shepherds used.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler