They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Popping in with a question about new laptop

Talk about anything here.

Popping in with a question about new laptop

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi all! I've been searching for a new laptop for a long time and finally found something that i hope is suitable and, as important - it was not sold out!!

I only work in Elements so i think the processor i selected should be ok. (i7-1065G7)

i'd love any comments anyone may have on this machine...HP from Best Buy...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x3 ... Id=6403437

Thanks!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Popping in with a question about new laptop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Overall, it's pretty good but not great. The i7-1065G7 processor has a benchmark of about 9,000. A benchmark of 10,000 would be preferable.

The other specs are also good but not great. 12 gigs of RAM is good, not great. 512 gig of storage is a bit small by today's standards. I'd go for at least 1 TB. There's no graphics card other than the basic Intel graphics support.

For $799, it's not a bad laptop. But for video editing, you might find it a bit wanting in my opinion.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Steve made some really good points that make sense.

If cost is the driver then you are at the expense of time. Meaning that you need to be prepared for slower processing and maybe more rendering while editing. These things take time. If you want things to go faster in the editing process that a faster chipset means a bigger expense.

An additional factor is what you are editing. If you have 1080p projects the more clips and the more transitions means the slower things go.

Also are you wanting an HP machine? Some of the new AMD chips have some outstanding performance.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:29 pm

Steve and Sidd...THANK YOU for commenting! I truly meant to respond but some health things and work kept me from doing so.

Steve Grisetti wrote:Overall, it's pretty good but not great. The i7-1065G7 processor has a benchmark of about 9,000. A benchmark of 10,000 would be preferable.

The other specs are also good but not great. 12 gigs of RAM is good, not great. 512 gig of storage is a bit small by today's standards. I'd go for at least 1 TB. There's no graphics card other than the basic Intel graphics support.

For $799, it's not a bad laptop. But for video editing, you might find it a bit wanting in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments, Steve. I currently have a Lenovo i-7 5500u with 8GB ram. My current laptop does have a graphics card, but based on a few comments you made in February, I didn't think my new laptop would need it, nor a higher rated cpu. Hopefully, that will be the case.
Premiere Elements makes pretty much no use of your computer's graphics system so, if you're going to be editing on Elements programs, put your money into a good processor instead.

Anything rating over a 10,000 is more than adequate for even heavy duty 4K editing. (If you're just editing HD video, you can go as low as an 8,500 rating.)

I don't shoot in 4K. I'm not sure how much editing i will even be doing on the new one...as a matter of fact, I've barely edited any video in the last few years.

I've been looking for a laptop for many months but a reasonably priced machine that is not sold out has been hard to find - maybe that's my fault for sticking with Best Buy. Guess I'll see how this machine works out. I needed one that i can transport - the Lenovo has a wonky hinge and i can't close it.

Thanks again!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler