They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Lavender Bees

Talk about anything here.

Lavender Bees

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 pm

I was at one of my favorite haunts the Egyptian Museum grounds this past weekend to further experiment with my smartphone and an anamorphic lens. This time I was trying to capture some bees pollinating some lavender bushes. The wide scale is kinda cool but the lens does not work so well trying to get close up.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Lavender Bees

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:51 am

The anamorphic lens adds a nice effect, Sidd.

I bought a set of cheap add-on lenses for my phone the other day. If anything they taught me that it might be worth a few dollars to buy some decent lenses. But they do add some depth to the snapshots phones usually shoot.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 am

Steve, I purchased the Ulanzi anamorphic lens for about $60 and it is a pretty good quality lens. a bit soft around the edges but I kind of like that effect. I will say from my perspective using Filmic Pro app is what makes the videos. The ability to adjust a lot of different parameters makes it a huge plus to the add on lens. They even have a setting that will desqueeze the footage in the camera while filming. I have also by experimenting with 24fps to see the difference.

What lenses did you end up getting for your smartphone?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:04 am

I got a very cheap set that included a wide angle, a fish-eye and a 18x telephoto. I just wanted to see if they'd work before I sunk too much money into it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 am

The Moment lenses are supposed to be one of the best quality but they are pretty pricey too. Some of the lenses like the fisheye would have a limited use. Maybe more as an effect.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 am

This lens are so cool. I didn't see any distortion Sidd.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:34 am

So relaxing. Were you using a tripod for some scenes, and a gimbal for others? Curious as to whether you've ever tried the anamorphic mode in Filmic Pro? I keep meaning to, but haven't thought of it at the right time. This may be a dumb question, but wondering how that (or just cropping) would differ from using an anamorphic lens.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks Ed. Glad you did not find it too soft.

Dave Hes tripod for all but one clip as I thought it would be more steady as the bees moved around pollinating. I am using the anamorphic lens setting in Filmic Pro as it "desqueezes" the footage from It’s 1.33x design to 2:4:1. it’s like shooting a wider focal length in the horizontal direction and a longer focal length in the vertical. Similar to using a wide angle lens.

The cropping will simulate the anamorphic look but will not provide a wider field of view that the lens does. It was originally designed to make 4x3 video more cinematic. For me it is a really fun style to record with. Especially for smartphones as I think it adds a cool element to the video.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:38 am

Makes sense now. Thanks Sidd
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:45 pm

Lavender needs alkaline soil and ours is acid, so I've never seen lavender except shots of fields in France or Italy, or perhaps one spike, laying on a towel in a bath advertisement... so THANKS!, Sidd! Now I feel like I know what it really looks like. I'm surprised that the flowers are individually so small. They look like a blanket of solid cover when massed together. I love the way rose gardens look (in photos) when surrounded by lavender hedges, and the play of the color of the lav flowers with the roses, instead of the more typical boxwood.

Knowing that lav wouldn't be likely to thrive here, if it would grow at all, I've considered Nepeta Walker, (I think), a cat MINT, not a cat NIP. All the same, I keep having thoughts of bazillions of cats coming out of the woods and pooping in my garden. Still haven't tried to germinate all those catmint seed packets I bought. :fg:

I like the music you've chosen here. Soft, like the flower colors, soothing, it sounds 'Egyptia'n to my ears, which have never heard 'real' Egyptian music either.

Well done. Love the way you are constantly experimenting.

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 am

Pazz thank you for the very kind words. Good luck on your cat mint.

I like lavender and the aroma is very nice. The way it is planted almost seems like it is an after thought. But the bees sure found it and were all over it. I agree on the music to me it sounded very pretty.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler