They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Computer connections

Talk about anything here.

Computer connections

Postby tjone3323 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi, hope this subject hasn't been beaten to death as I looked and didn't see anything. I'm new to this community and to MovieStudio so I've been feeling my way into it, not helped by some issues with a new computer I recently purchased. My problem is this, not being able to transfer video has put me in a bind. I'm using a Canon Vixia HF R500 and an Activeon CX (GoPro knockoff) and they both came with USB cables for transferring video to the computer. I have looked everywhere for IEEE-1394 cables to transfer directly into MovieStudio and can't seem to come up with anything compatible with either camera. Has anyone run into a similar situation and is there another solution for this situation?

Stuck before I can even get my video in to work on it.

Thanks
Tom
tjone3323
New User
New User

Re: Computer connections

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 am

Hi Tom and welome to Muvipix. :meet:

Sorry that I can't help with this one but someone should be along soon that will be able to help you. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Computer connections

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 27, 2020 7:19 am

IEEE-1394 FireWire is a sort of obsolete connection that was used for transferring tape-based miniDV and HDV footage to your computer. Neither of your camcorders are shooting tape-based digital video, which is why there is no FireWire connection. (Also, because the connection is pretty much obsolete, few if any new computers include it.)

Digital AVCHD cameras (like your Canon) transfer video to computer via USB, ideally using transfer software built into the program.

Part 2 of my 8 part Basic Training video series for Vegas Movie Studio shows you how.

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler