They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HALP! Win 10 'Critical Update' killed my computer

Talk about anything here.

HALP! Win 10 'Critical Update' killed my computer

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:08 pm

About a month ago, well, you can tell by the title. My best guess is that drivers for the wireless receiver drivers for my "built into my PC", (not the wireless router connected to my cable modem via ethernet cable) do not support Win 10, and the update to correct the old drivers cannot work because I no longer have the old drivers. I have a new, different brand of wireless connector in a PCI slot and now CAN connect - with new drivers for the new hardware.

But there are many things I still need to do and I don't remember the best way to go about it.

Programs and stuff:

Before I reformatted my C drive to completely re-install Windows 10, Pro, with a newly purchased OS on a dvd, not the 'free' update, because I could not connect to the internet, I copied the entire C drive to my 'W' drive.

Q: I am not sure if I drag the old C drive copy file to the newly reformatted C drive with clean installation of Win 10 Pro, if the old copy operating system will come along and mess everything up. Should I drag the entire OLD C to the NEW C?

Email

I thought I could go to mozilla.org and download Thunderbird, then 'import' all my email stuff easily from the old, C drive copy. .....
But it looks like Mozilla no longer supports Thunderbird.

If I can (should?) drag old C to new C, would my old email stuff come with it and be functional until I can decide if I should switch to a new email service?

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: HALP! Win 10 'Critical Update' killed my computer

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Paz_Pazzaz wrote: Should I drag the entire OLD C to the NEW C? [/b]

No. Why do you want to do that?

Paz_Pazzaz wrote:I thought I could go to mozilla.org and download Thunderbird, then 'import' all my email stuff easily from the old, C drive copy

See if this helps:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data

You can copy the data from your old C drive to the same location on the new C drive.
Peru

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Why do you want to do that?

So things like Photoshop, etc., would (hopefully) be automatically installed without me having to find the original CD - DVD of all my programs.

The Critical Update reverted me to Win 7 Ultimate, my programs were there, but I had 0 days left to use them, and no way to verify them with companies with no internet access. Oh, the Win 7 it reverted to kept telling me that it was illegal. Why? I haven't a clue. It had been legal for ages. I still have the original disc, holograms and all.

Can I, should I, open the copy Windows Programs file and drag them to the new C Programs files? 32 and 64, respectively?

Thanks for the link to Thunderbird profiles. I would think they would be buried somewhere on the old C copy, but I would not have known where to look. ](*,) I think I've lost my mind too, ... but I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

THANKS!, Peru!!!
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:04 am

Paz_Pazzaz wrote:Programs and stuff:

Before I reformatted my C drive to completely re-install Windows 10, Pro, with a newly purchased OS on a dvd, not the 'free' update, because I could not connect to the internet, I copied the entire C drive to my 'W' drive.

If I have understood this correctly I am not certain that you can just 'drag' the copy of your original 'C' drive back to another location. I think that you have to use software that will 're-deploy to new hardware' otherwise you will keep seeing 'boot errors'. I believe that re-deploy will only work using a back up image not a straight disc copy...but of course (and especially in relation to this problem) I have been very wrong before. :ha:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:31 am

I reformatted my C drive to completely re-install Windows 10, Pro, with a newly purchased OS on a dvd, not the 'free' update … Can I, should I, open the copy Windows Programs file and drag them to the new C Programs files? 32 and 64, respectively?

NO, you should not. You did a "clean install" of the OS so you will need to install your user applications again. Hopefully, you have your application authorization keys. It's not enough to simply copy the executable files over. And, if you aren't careful, you could potentially overwrite system modules and really mess things up. It's safe to copy your data files.
Bob

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:20 pm

John and Bob,

Thank you both.

Drat it all... I'll be good and do it the right way. :fg:

Off to search for old program discs.... and SO THANKFUL FOR MUVIPIX!!!!!

:exc:

Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:23 am

:conf: Ube right Paz..lots of folks would be..if they'd come
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chris B » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Just for future reference - if Windows does go "funny" - either a failed update or something else that requires a reinstall you can do an "in place upgrade" which basically copies fresh versions of the windows files. But - all your programs and files are preserved so you don't need to re-install them. You do need an installation media (DVD or USB) to do this but you don't need a purchased copy - one burned from another machine is fine.

The section here is "Reinstall Windows 10 using installation media" - you'll want to "Keep personal files and apps" when it asks.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -reinstall
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Return to Water Cooler