They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

Talk about anything here.

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

Postby sidd finch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:59 pm

The end of the year always brings to mind those that we have lost. Yesterday we said good by to a great friend, our old Plum tree that had finally succumb to the Cytospora Canker fungus that had infected the tree for the last few years.

You may think what's the big deal about removing an old infected fruit tree.... But after so many years of delicious plums it is hard to say goodbye. Over the years we made Plum Jam that was shared with people from around the globe. Of cours there is some bias there, but family and friends all enjoyed a jar of homemade jam. We even enjoyed getting requests for "another jar please". At its peak we made about 50 jars a year.

The tree also inspired me to make a yearly spring Plum blossom movies. To me the beauty of those plum blossoms blooming and watching the honey bees gathering pollen was a sure fire inspiration for a movie. Also was a good way to keep me out of the house.... lol. Not to mention that the tree was a summer home for the hummingbirds waiting to eat from the feeder. Sitting under its shade enjoying some lemonade on a hot summer day was a good time.

So for me, this little tree has had some far reaching impact. I thought I would share a couple of videos in remembrance of our little plum tree. I am going to keep the trunk of the tree and see if I can make something out of the wood.

And the disease that hastened the trees end:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear about your tree. In the late 70s where I lived I had a plum tree that had the exact same thing. At the time I thought it was just "something that plum trees did". It never occurred to me that it was a disease. A shame.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks Dave. When we made the jam we called it our liquid gold.

I did not realize that one a fruit tree gets this disease it is almost always fatal.... Ugg

Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:00 pm

And a happy new year to you and yours too!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Sorry you lost your plum tree. Great close ups on the spores in the 2nd video. My grandmother had a plum tree in her back yard. Great memories.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks Mom. I am really hoping that the wood is build worthy.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:49 pm

Sorry about losing your tree Sidd. We had two plum trees in our front yard, lost both of them a few years apart. They were small when we moved into our house 20 years ago. One of them was stuck by lightning and managed to survive another 5 years but sadly both were taken over by disease. They were my favorite trees to decorate at Christmas time and beautiful when they bloomed in the spring. We also had a peach tree and lost that one as well. Not many trees left in our front yard now :(
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Someone suggested making coasters out of some of the smaller branches. Here is the first sample. I need to dry the wood but I thought it looks pretty cool.

Plum.jpg

Sidd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 am

That will be great Sidd !
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Well in my rush to dry it out, I think I tried to dry too fast and the test cut ended up cracking..... Ok back to the cutting board.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby BuddyB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Very sad. I peer out of the front window of my wonderful Tennessee home, amazed at what The Lord has provided us with, and wonder how many peoplel really think about and fully appreciate what we've been provided here on earth. Sidd I could feel the pain. Blessings.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks Buddy. The world is such a very beautiful place full of amazing natural beauty and inhabited with all sorts of wonderful creatures. Plum today gone tomorrow...

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler