They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Davinci Resolve

Talk about anything here.

Davinci Resolve

Postby dberthia » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:41 am

I've been continually disappointed with the stability, performance, and feature dumping that Adobe has demonstrated over the last few years. Removing the authoring/burning features was the last straw for me. I decided if I have to use a separate product for authoring, that there are better alternatives out there for editing alone. I highly encourage everybody to check out Davinci Resolve: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/.

Resolve is a professional tool that is ABSOLUTELY FREE, unless you need some of the very advanced features, none of which I have a need for. Even the free version has more functionality then PrEl. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not bad unless you get into advanced functions like keyframing, color grading, etc. They have a LOT of helpful videos and tutorials to get you started. I had a simple project up and running in a couple of hours. I have a newer Windows 10 PC, and can tell you that performance-wise, Resolve puts PrEl to shame. I have NEVER had a crash, and the UI is much more responsive.

I'm not affiliated with Resolve, and have no hidden motivation to promote it, other than to hopefully help folks move away from Adobe to a better value proposition. I highly encourage everybody to at least kick the tires.
dberthia

Re: Davinci Resolve

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:20 am

Hope you don't mind that I've moved this discussion to the Water Cooler rather than leaving it on the Premiere Elements forum, db. It seems a more appropriate place to have this discussion.

Although we may well suggest Webmaster Ron open up a Davinci Resolve forum so we can give this app the attention it deserves.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:27 am

DaVinci Resolve is a really great program. I do not do any DVD authoring anymore so I cannot speak to that aspect of the program but for a free program it is outstanding. I am more frustrated with the Premiere Creative Cloud as a subscription than anything else.

After using the Adobe products for so long I find the learning curve a bit challenging but it is easily remedied by doing a YouTube search on how to complete a task that mystifies me when using the program. I also like that it includes the ability to create 360 content.

As much as I really like creating video content, I just cannot justify the additional cost of paying as you go.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chris B » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:31 pm

I have been dabbling for a while now - the editing just isn't as fluid as Vegas to my mind although version 16 is making advances here. Regarding training Blackmagic themselves have several (free as far as I can see) training videos that cover the basics (and not so basics) including example projects to play with here:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

A hint I saw elsewhere: With the fusion page included in the workflow you can get round some of the restrictions that the free version has. For example - the Resolve Sharpen filter is part of the Studio package - however - there is a sharpen plugin in the fusion toolset that you can use instead.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby GriffinR » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 pm

I've purchased PE 15, 18, 19. I like the program but i'm thinking for less than 300.00 I can get the Studio version of Davinci Resolve for a one time purchase.
GriffinR

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:45 pm

You can use the free version see if you like it then purchase the complete version. The free version will do about 90% of what you want.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:01 pm

There is no way I can run Davinci Resolve on my i5. And since I need stereoscopic support, I would have to buy the Studio version. I really hate that Magix stole the color grading interface from Davinci Resolve for Vegas, not because they stole it, but because it I don't like it.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler