They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New PC?

Talk about anything here.

New PC?

Postby karri » Sun May 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi everyone,

So I finally was able to free up enough space on my SSD drive to install Creative Cloud. Buuut it turns out now Premiere Pro doesn't run on Windows 7, only W10 :( So I thought I'd try DaVinci Resolve but it seems that only runs on Windows 10, too. Cyberlink has everything in it and is really amazing, but I could never get used to editing in it.

So I'm thinking of getting a new computer for video editing and keeping the old Windows 7 PC for everything else.

Are you all on Windows 10 now? Any advice? (I'm mostly editing 4K footage (or the almost 4K, I forget what they call it :-D ) from a Sony AX 100 and a Note 8.)

I noticed this already built PC on sale this weekend.
https://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/V ... 9p5137.htm

What so you all think? Overkill? Although I'd like to future proof somewhat. Would you get 32 or 64 GB Ram? I have 32 on my editing PC currently, but it can slow down after a while.

TIA :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: New PC?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 26, 2019 5:24 pm

64-bit Windows 10 Pro is really the standard operating systems for PCs, karri.

As with any operating system, you're going to find people who hate it. But I love it. I think it's the closest Microsoft has come to the Mac operating system. It's stable and well-designed.

Microsoft is also going to end support for Windows 7 soon, while new versions of Windows 10 are continually being developed and rolled out at no charge to registered users. So in my not-so-humble opinion, moving to a new system running Windows 10 is a given.

That new system you're looking at is a real powerhouse -- but that's quite a hefty price tag too. If you can afford the investment and you need all that power, it's a very nice machine. But because technology loses value so fast, I usually try not to pay more than $1000 for a new system. That way if it's worth only 50% of it's value in a year, I've only lost $500 rather than $1500, if I'd bought a $3,000 computer.

But I'm a bit of a cheapskate that way.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun May 26, 2019 7:23 pm

karri wrote:What so you all think? Overkill? Although I'd like to future proof somewhat. Would you get 32 or 64 GB Ram? I have 32 on my editing PC currently, but it can slow down after a while.

I wouldn't call it overkill at all for Premiere Pro.

I purchased this almost a year ago:
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
SN181600005515 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 7820X 3.6GHz Eight Core 11MB 140W
M72S9K0201906 CPU
4 x Crucial DDR4-2666 16GB Ram
PNY GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Blower Edition
N425C01AA01M0347000754 Video Card
Onboard Sound Sound Card
Integrated WiFi+Bluetooth Networking
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA3 2.5inch SSD
s3yznb0k319279 Hard Drive
Additional Information: Tertiary drive.
Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA3 2.5inch SSD
s45enf0k501430 Hard Drive
Additional Information: Secondary drive.
Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SATA3 2.5inch SSD
s45hnf0k303300 Hard Drive
Additional Information: Primary drive.
Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)
J2D0CF131351 CD / DVD Rom
Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 Power Supply
1803440806803346 Power Supply
Noctua NH-U12DX i4 CPU Cooling
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade Additional Cooling
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
N98R4-P86HJ-38JJ3-6FXVH-R9CKF Operating System
Warranty: Lifetime Labor and Tech Support, 1 Year Parts Warranty

and paid considerably more.

I would suggest upgrading to 64 GB RAM since you will have an eight core processor. The relative price difference is worth it if you multitask.
I can work in Premiere Pro and Photoshop while exporting from Adobe Media Encoder without any issues.

Also, when I upgraded my old editing computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I found that it ran Premiere Pro much faster and more reliably.
Peru

Postby Peru » Sun May 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote: I usually try not to pay more than $1000 for a new system.

You can get a prebuilt system for Premiere Elements for that price, but even if you build it yourself, it would be difficult to find a system for Premiere Pro at that price point that would give a happy editing experience.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 pm

That's why I recommend posting questions like this to our community forum. We've got such a great community of knowledgeable people who can bring so much to the discussion. Thanks, Peru!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby karri » Tue May 28, 2019 7:16 am

Thanks Guys!

Steve I can't really afford it, but I scrimp on other things to feed the video addiction :-D

I always have admired people who can do so much with computers spending so much less! But I'm not very techy and want a PC that I don't have to tinker with. I thought I had everything I needed in my current PC but the SSD drive just kept running out of space. :conf:

So now that it's time for an upgrade, I don't want miss anything.

Peru thanks so much for your input and for posting your specs. Yes I do multitask, so thanks for the advice on the RAM. I'll get the 64 GB. :TU:

I couldn't find your video card. On Adobe's list of recommendations for Premiere Pro CC, they list the Quadro P4000 and the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, which are the upper limit $ cards on the systems I'm looking at.

Adobe graphics card recommendations https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/sy ... ments.html

Any advice on graphics cards (or any other PC parts!) from you guys would be great.

Thanks again, it's great to have a Muvipix as a resource! All you guys and ladies are are awesome!
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue May 28, 2019 10:36 am

I couldn't find your video card. On Adobe's list of recommendations for Premiere Pro CC, they list the Quadro P4000 and the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, which are the upper limit $ cards on the systems I'm looking at.

Just because the graphics card is not on Adobe's recommended list does not mean you cannot add the graphics card you have and get CUDA to recognize and run in premiere pro. There are various tutorials to add your graphics card for premiere pro CUDA.

There are also tutorials for doing the same thing to after effects. Both are quite manageable and easy to perform.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 pm

karri wrote:

The list of recommended cards is really only a list of cards that they have actually tested. With the great number of different cards out there, they can't test them all. If a card is not on the list, that just means Adobe hasn't bothered to test it.
Any card with at least 4 GB VRAM will work. You just have to make sure to manually download the latest driver from the video card manufacturer's site.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed May 29, 2019 1:43 am

When I upgraded my system to the currently installed CPU, I removed the graphics card as I couldn't really discern any noticable benefit over the CPU's graphics.

With the graphics capability now built into modern CPUs and the speed at which they perform relative to older CPUs, is a graphics card (and associated CUDA processing) really necessary for the sort of video processing that folk like us actually deal with? Does a graphics card really make a significant difference in processing times?

For gamers, probably. For video editing enthusiasts? Views anybody?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed May 29, 2019 10:31 am

You asked: "Does a graphics card really make a significant difference in processing times?"

Pretty sure it depends on the software you are using. Some make use of a graphic card others don't.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Wed May 29, 2019 2:59 pm

For certain workloads mid range graphics cards are several times faster than even top end CPUs. For example - the raytracing benchmark Luxmark (http://www.luxmark.info/) renders at roughly 3.5 million samples per second on my i7-8700 processor but at 13 million samples per second on my 1080 graphics card - so around 3.5 times faster. A 9900k achieves over 4 million samples - still way short of the graphics card. It will really depend on what your software is doing and how it's written. When rendering one of my diving videos in Resolve my GPU is used at up to about 40% usage.
GPURender.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 30, 2019 6:51 am

Because the names and numbers are so confusing, I usually refer to these benchmark reports in order to compare processor speeds.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I used to say that 10,000 is a minimal score for a decent processor for video editing. Now, as you can see, processors are rating as high as 30,000.

The same company also lists benchmark scores for graphics cards.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Though, as has bee noted, most of the consumer programs I use (notably Premiere Elements) don't get much of a boost from a graphics card so I'm not sure what to recommend for a minimal GPU rating. So I usually direct my budget to processor rather than graphics.

However, if you're using a professional program, like Premiere Pro or Vegas Pro, or doing a lot of intensive effects with a program like After Effects, an industrial strength graphics card definitely makes a difference.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu May 30, 2019 8:44 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:...is a graphics card (and associated CUDA processing) really necessary for the sort of video processing that folk like us actually deal with? Does a graphics card really make a significant difference in processing times?

For gamers, probably. For video editing enthusiasts? Views anybody?

Sterve Grisetti wrote:...if you're using a professional program, like Premiere Pro or Vegas Pro, or doing a lot of intensive effects with a program like After Effects, an industrial strength graphics card definitely makes a difference.

That, in essence, was the point that I was trying to make. With the processing speed of the current generation of CPUs and in relation to the general type of video work that we carry out, is an expensive graphics card really necessary?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Thu May 30, 2019 10:00 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:With the processing speed of the current generation of CPUs and in relation to the general type of video work that we carry out, is an expensive graphics card really necessary?

Premiere Pro CC won't run unless you meet the graphics card minimum specifications:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/sy ... ments.html
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri May 31, 2019 12:27 am

Thanks for clarifying that Bob.

As an "out of mainstream tech" type of person that I am, I am still using my venerable Sony HVR (tape based), Win 7 Pro 64 bit and CS6. :(
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Next

Return to Water Cooler