They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Syncing frame rate to chopper rotation

Talk about anything here.

Syncing frame rate to chopper rotation

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 22, 2019 6:51 am

Here's a pretty cool video.

The photographer matched the frame rate of the video to the speed of the helicopter blades -- so it appears the copter takes off and flies away without turning on its motor!

At least I hope this is real. There are some aspects of it that seem a bit suspicious to me. (Like the fact that the blade speed wouldn't remain consistent the whole flight. Would it?)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Syncing frame rate to chopper rotation

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed May 22, 2019 9:02 am

Pretty cool. Right at the beginning the blades have a slight turning motion, and in the last few seconds there's definite motion, so this may be legit.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Thu May 23, 2019 10:07 am

That looks pretty cool. I wonder how you sync the frame rate. but a pretty cool effect.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Thu May 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Pretty cool. Right at the beginning the blades have a slight turning motion, and in the last few seconds there's definite motion, so this may be legit.

It is legit. Most helicopters are designed to operate within a narrow rotational speed range. In normal flight, it usually stays within plus or minus 1% which is vary nearly constant. The rotational rate is related to the size of the rotor. They want the tip of the rotor blade to remain subsonic, so, the longer the blade the slower the rotation. Since most video cameras have fixed frame rates, I would assume that this helicopter has a rotational rate which is an integral multiple of the frame rate. Say 300 rpm and 30 fps. It also looks like the shutter angle (shutter speed) was adjusted to eliminate motion blur of the blades.
Bob

Return to Water Cooler