They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Department of Homeland Security drone concerns

Talk about anything here.

Department of Homeland Security drone concerns

Postby Peru » Tue May 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Peru

Re: Department of Homeland Security drone concerns

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 am

It seems like almost all technology today has concerns over security and privacy. I hate to say it, but I could believe this is true. So many times we cross over to the realm of what used to be science fiction.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 am

Dave McElderry wrote: So many times we cross over to the realm of what used to be science fiction.

I was an avid reader of science fiction (not fantasy) in college. I haven't read any SF in years because it seems that there is little "fiction " left.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 22, 2019 10:27 am

It is certainly not a stretch to think that information could be accessed from this collection. But Facebook does the exact same thing. Get a free service in exchange for just a "little" data.

Isaac Asimov really predicted the future....

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chris B » Wed May 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live--did live, from habit that became instinct--in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized.

Hey Siri - Read Nineteen Eighty Four to me.... ;)
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Peru » Wed May 22, 2019 12:56 pm

sidd finch wrote:
Isaac Asimov really predicted the future....

Sidd

Asimov was my favorite author for both fiction and nonfiction.
Peru

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Mr. B and I took turns reading The Foundation Trilogy aloud to one another during the early years of our marriage. No TV. Not much of anything, as a matter of fact. We had a toilet tissue box for a dinner table and two, outdoor, aluminum folding chairs with the plastic webbing in the kitchen. A mattress on the floor in the bedroom. Ah, those were the days!

Once in a group gathering the topic of conversation became "What is the scariest book you've ever read."

The Exorcist generally took top billing. When I said 1984 everyone looked puzzled. Not one had ever heard of it.
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 am

Paz_Pazzaz wrote: The Foundation Trilogy

There is a "fourth" book of the trilogy:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/766 ... ion_s_Edge
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 am

would that make the book series a quadrology?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 pm

Four? I had no idea. Did civilization survive??? (hmmmm..... considering Asimov's generally optimistic theology, I's guess, YES. After all, HIS robots all too the oath! Not like the Terminators of today's fiction! :fg:

Good Q, Sidd!

I had to look it up!

"You can call a series of four films (or books) a tetrology or a quartet, a series of five a quintet or pentalogy (or maybe even quintology), but "sextet" seems to be the standard usage for a series of six. "Sextology" and "hextology" have apparently been used by some, but they do not appear to be widely-accepted words."
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler