They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DaVinci Resolve

Talk about anything here.

DaVinci Resolve

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun May 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Adobe keep popping up on my computer with a 'new' agreement I need to sign, apparently to continue to use Premiere Elements 18. The first time I had a splitting headache and declined. It has kept on until it has become a true aggravation. I haven't opened the program for ages. I haven't done any video editing for ages... and now I'm sure I didn't activate After Effects CS6 when they popped up to tell me that what was valid then is not valid now.

Doesn't DaVinci Resolve look nice????

Beta version 16 has just come out and I'm going to download it and see if I can make heads or tails. Since a few may decide to drift in the same direction, could we please have a special forum place for discussions about it?

Amazon has a Kindle-book "how to". Hopefully there is a way to view a Kindle book on a computer without having to buy a Kindle device.

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-DaVinci-Resolve-comprehensive-introduction-ebook/dp/B07RFKDTKG/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?crid=3NFTKAQ04M4WK&keywords=davinci+resolve+16+studio&qid=1558306937&s=gateway&sprefix=da+vinci+re%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-1-fkmr3

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: DaVinci Resolve

Postby Bob » Sun May 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Hopefully there is a way to view a Kindle book on a computer without having to buy a Kindle device.

Yes there is, and it's free: see: Kindle Reader

I have the Kindle app for PC installed on my computer, but I find I seldom use it. Instead, I use the Kindle Reader app on my smart phone and my tablet. Once you buy a Kindle book, you can download it to any or all of your devices with the app and read it offline there. It syncs back to your account so you can switch between your different devices and maintain your current place. That's handy, I use the tablet at home and the phone when I'm out. Amazon also has a Kindle cloud reader that doesn't download the book locally, you have to read while connected online. I've never used that. I suppose it could be useful if you have a device that doesn't support the regular reader app.

I use the app a lot. My local library let's me borrow Kindle format books and I get free books through Amazon prime. I also buy kindle format books.
Bob

Postby Chris B » Mon May 20, 2019 1:51 pm

You might want to stick with 15 until the kinks in 16 are ironed out. The interface (apart from the new cut page) hasn't changed too much between them.

There's a video tutorial on Blackmagic's youtube channel for getting started in 15 including a link to the project media that they use (in the video description)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEuFP7U ... hCpjn46cMX
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Wed May 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Woohoo! Thanks for the link to load the Kindle Reader, Bob! I'll download it right away. ::CLAP:

Okay, Chris. I'll go ahead and download 15. Should I delete 16? (I had thought I'd be better off only trying to learn one version.)

Are you, or have you used both 15 and 16? Have you found the transition difficult or does DV work more or less the same way as Adobe programs?

Thanks for the link to the tutorials too. Does DaVinci work like the Adobe programs, in that work files will fill up space on the C drive - and the user needs to know where to find them so they can be deleted once a project is over?

P
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Thu May 23, 2019 1:55 am

I note there's a new version of the 16 beta out today with 60+ named bug fixes. Seems there not quite there yet.

I think you should delete 16 - there is a database upgrade process between the two versions so if you're keeping it on 15 for the moment I'd remove 16. You can always re-install.

Regarding cache files - this was something I hadn't looked in to. In a project under Davinchi Resolve > Preferences > Media Storage it lists where media is. The first in the list is used as the storage location for Cache files. They can be deleted from the Playback menu.

The resolve manual (https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf - Also available from the help menu) has a whole chapter (Chapter 6) on caching.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri May 31, 2019 10:59 pm

16 deleted, 15 installed. Haven't had the time to even open any of it. Not the program, no lessons, no Kimble books. But I need to get busy. I have lots of footage I need to sort through... but...

I've been trying to beat the heat in the garden. Fat chance. It is still May and feels like the dog days of August. I MUST get some 16 roses planted and soon. Sure wish I could afford Sidd's staff. My rose garden never looks anything like his!

I did manage to get the steps to the creek carved out of the ditch-side over the fall and winter. Not a moment too soon. The last 3 times I've been down to the creek I've been met by Mr. Cottonmouth. Or perhaps by Mrs. and her baby. It (or they) have not been aggressive, but they don't back down either. Once appeared to be about 4 feet long, another time, 3 at the most. But partially under water. Not sure how big. Definitely Cottonmouth though. Cat's pupil eyes, pit, hard nose line. I was about four feet away last time and I took a long, good look. I'd really been hoping it was a brown water snake. No such luck. I want to try to film it. Then..."Murder, she wrote."

Oh, Racoony has been back the last 3 days. I discovered that George was really Rosemary when she had a quartet following her last year. Now that she's coming back for bird food perhaps she's expecting again. If so, I hope I get some baby pics this year.

Oh, and I have lots of footage that I have just transferred from cards to my new hard drive....and a few Qs:

What's the best way to eliminate segments that either have nothing happening or are out of focus? Without downgrading the quality of the footage? I'm shooting in 4k and have Premiere Elements 18, Premiere Pro CS6, and now DaVinci 15. I'd like to keep a full copy of all audio as well as have audio combined with the footage I keep. Sometimes even when the birds or animals are not doing much, other birds play nice songs.
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:46 am

What's the best way to eliminate segments that either have nothing happening or are out of focus? Without downgrading the quality of the footage? I'm shooting in 4k and have Premiere Elements 18, Premiere Pro CS6, and now DaVinci 15. I'd like to keep a full copy of all audio as well as have audio combined with the footage I keep. Sometimes even when the birds or animals are not doing much, other birds play nice songs.

1. You will need to choose what editor you want to use as each will generate it own type of file system.
2. When you set up DaVinci it has the ability to keep the look and feel of Premiere Pro.
3. The cut or razor tool is the best way to cut out unwanted footage.
4. I think all the editors are non-destructive so the original files will stay intact. Premier has the ability to export the video file as an audio file so you could make audio files of the specific passages you like.
5. adding additional audio is as simple as placing it on an additional track in the editor.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:38 pm

1. You will need to choose what editor you want to use as each will generate it own type of file system.

Ah! I knew there was something... and remember now. I used to prefer cutting in PreEL but there was some sort of problem getting everything transferred to PrePro without damage.

Thanks, Sidd.

=========================================

DaVinci Resolve 15 re-installed, many of my .mp4 files are not recognized. I finally figured out a work around for some very small files but not the larger ones and then everything locked up and I deleted DV R 15.

And did some reading and some reading and some reading. DV 5 15 doesn't run on Win 7. I've been reading for a couple of days now... it looks like it hasn't run on Win 7 since version 11 or 12. phooey!

Crossroads:

Windows 10 (ugh) or Adobe's Creative Cloud? (gack!)

I think I'll take 10. And I've been reading about 10 too. It seems forced updates are no longer the rule from Microsoft. I guess that means for the basic edition. But I think I also remember Bob saying he had a higher version of Win 10 that never did force updates, or at least gave the user some wait time to attempt to avoid system malfunctions brought on by updates. If the Home edition no longer has forced updates, would there be other reasons to spend an extra Franklin for the Pro Win 10 edition? As far as I can tell, there are only two options for a one person user/business.

Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Comparison of Windows 10 options:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... rade-paths

With the Home version to Win 10 from 7 Ultimate (me) is a downgrade: "personal data is maintained but applications and settings are removed."

What exactly does that mean? Applications and settings? Does that mean I'd have to reinstall all programs?

thanks,

P
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:53 am

Sorry - Didn't realise you were still on Win7.

When the free upgrade offer was available the upgrade path for Windows 7 Ultimate was to Windows 10 Pro - which (I think) is why the move to home is considered a downgrade. There reports that despite the free period being over if you run the upgrade tool it "just works".
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

Obviously the usual rules apply - make sure you have a full system backup in case something goes wrong etc.
Chris B

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:25 pm

"just works"... and is legal? Woah! I've seen several links to 'get it free' these past few days but figured it was a scam and didn't click. Zdnet. Yeah. I'm already backed up and ready to give it a try. Thanks for this link, Chris!!! :yh:

(I've located my old Win 7 disk and product key. If I'm not back in a few days, weeks, months, it will be because I'm having one sort of trouble or another! :eek: )

P

:)
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:29 pm

It DID just work!

Installed Win 10 Pro without me having to request it. Did not ask me for $.

I've been looking around. Seems my passwords to sites like this one are intact. (Does that mean Microsoft (or anyone-thing else has them? now)

My desktop looks the same. I still have Thunderbird for email and Firefox for web browsing. All my bookmarks are in place. Even the color scheme I already had for internet viewing is still in place. I do NOT have the aggravating blocks popping out from the right side of the screen that Mr. B had.

Security settings I already had, like blocking pop ups, or allowing them on certain sites are retained. I've found the security settings and turned off almost everything. I'll study them more and perhaps turn things on once I understand them better.

So far, looks good! In fact, there may be more explanations about what things are and do that can help deciding settings. I might just like it.

Off to install DV R 15.

Special thanks to Chris!!! Free upgrade! :exc:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:52 pm

I think I'll take 10. And I've been reading about 10 too. It seems forced updates are no longer the rule from Microsoft. I guess that means for the basic edition. But I think I also remember Bob saying he had a higher version of Win 10 that never did force updates, or at least gave the user some wait time to attempt to avoid system malfunctions brought on by updates. If the Home edition no longer has forced updates, would there be other reasons to spend an extra Franklin for the Pro Win 10 edition?

I have Windows 10 Pro. Microsoft has changed how Pro handles updates subsequent to when I posted that, but Pro does still provide some ways to choose when updates are installed. For feature updates, you can select from two update branches "Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)" which essentially applies them when offered and "Semi-Annual" which is the more conservative channel which applies them when Microsoft deems them stable enough to use in a business/enterprise environment. I have "Semi-Annual" selected. Pro also allow you to delay updates a number of days after Windows Update offers them to you. You can delay feature updates up to 365 days and quality updates (which includes security updates) up to 30 days. You can also pause updates for up to 35 days, but that is a one time thing and you will need to install the updates before you can pause again.

As to other reasons to get Windows 10 Pro: It's required if you want to use more than 16GB of RAM. Pro also provides Bitlocker which provides volume level encryption, and provides Hyper-V for support of virtualization.
Bob

Postby Chris B » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:04 am

Glad it worked. Do check that you are "activated" - but it seems like you're good to go. You might want to visit the Microsoft store and download the DVD player app - which will be free for a while after the upgrade.

(Does that mean Microsoft (or anyone-thing else has them? now)

Almost certainly not - unless you've enabled some sort of cloud storage. Microsoft - (and Facebook and Google etc.) are much more interested about where you go and what you look at so that they can sell advertising....

@Bob - The memory limits for Win10 Home 64 bit are 128GB these days (and has been since windows 8). Pro goes up to 2TB. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... windows-10).
Chris B

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:50 am

Thanks for the correction, Dave. I was probably thinking of the Windows 7 limits. I'm 73 -- I'm entitled to a senior moment every once in a while. :conf:
Bob

Next

Return to Water Cooler