They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DaVinci Resolve

Talk about anything here.

Re: DaVinci Resolve

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Turned on my monitor this morning and it looked like it had a bright chrome yellow overlay. All lemon and lime hues. keep calm... reboot... maybe that will help...

Learned that I would get a new, large landscape image and clock and ads. Finally decided to click on it and found I have to log in. Whew! Then I got to my desktop with normal colors. Had me going there.

I've watched the first DaV 15 YouTube intro that Chris linked to a couple of times. Thought I'd try editing a little footage from the past couple of days and immediately found that my pages didn't match the teacher's pages. Decided to buy the book on Amazon. It should arrive Tuesday. The book was not available the first time I looked. Frustrated that it will take a couple of days I checked into Bob's links for Kindle for PC. It installed. About 4 hours and 7 or 8 times before I called Amazon. Tech help said the PC version was only for Windows 8. She did help me get my tablet deleted so the image for the book showed on my Kindle section of Amazon but that kept saying it could not open and that I should download the (same) software again. Eventually I clicked on the folder beside the downloaded software and ran as administrator. That opened the Kindle version of the book. I may have to do that every time to see it. No way to scroll through pages. In the beginning my mouse tablet would not work. No way to see two pages at once. It's all vertical. I don't think Amazon is terribly interested in having folks use their PC when they could simply buy a Kindle tablet.

Bob,

Seeing your post re: RAM, I thought I'd check to see how much RAM I have. I have not been able to dig down deeply enough to get to system information. I know I can click f2 on startup and go into my BIOS, but is there a way to get to something like Device Manager in Win 10?

Chris,

The DVD player? If I had that would I be able to watch movies that I have on DVD and/or BluRay on my PC?

Activated? You mean is Windows 10 'activated'? How would I check that?

Bob,

You can have as many senior moments as you like!!! That is if I leave any for anyone else!

Moderators? Again, would it be possible to have a DaVinci Resolve CORNER?

If so, this link should probably go there:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... nciResolve

Thanks, everyone!
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Where do I begin...

I called Amazon. Tech help said the PC version was only for Windows 8.

Absolutely not correct. There was a version for Windows 8, but that's not the current "Kindle for PC" application. Per Amazon: " Kindle for PC is a Desktop Mode app that is compatible with almost any computer running Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, or Windows 10." The tech was apparently confused or ill trained. Maybe both. Here's the download page.

I just ran my copy to see if it still worked. I had it set to auto update and it did. Here's a screen shot of Kindle PC running on Windows 10.
Kindle_on_PC.JPG

You shouldn't need to run as administrator. But, you do need to register the application the first time you use it to associate it with your Amazon account. I assume you did that.

No way to scroll through pages. In the beginning my mouse tablet would not work. No way to see two pages at once. It's all vertical.

No way to see two pages at once but you can scroll a page at a time several ways. I normally use the mouse wheel, but the left and right arrows and the page up page down keys also work.

I like the tablet Kindle app the best. Still no two page spreads, but you can scroll various ways including swiping with your finger and you can set the scroll options to continuous and scroll up and down without regard to page boundaries. Also, you can display horizontal or vertical.

I have not been able to dig down deeply enough to get to system information. I know I can click f2 on startup and go into my BIOS, but is there a way to get to something like Device Manager in Win 10?

absolutely! There are a number of ways. You could click on the Windows logo on the taskbar and go through the settings menus, or, like me, you could simply type what you are looking for in the search box. For example, start typing device manager in the box and the device manager control panel will appear in the results. Or, you could type system information and the system control panel or the system information app can give you the amount of installed ram. To check your activation status, type activation and select the activation system settings result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Chris B » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:03 am

The DVD player? If I had that would I be able to watch movies that I have on DVD and/or BluRay on my PC?

Only DVDs - if you have a DVD Drive (or mount a DVD Iso). The fact that most modern PCs don't come with an optical drive was probably why it was removed as a standard feature. I think it also includes an MPEG2 Codec. Failing that - VLC will do the job.

Regarding the screen not looking like the one in the tutorial - it might be that you are not on the right "page" - there are a row of icons across the bottom of the screen to switch pages.

Don't forget that resolve has a manual you can read which is either available from the help menu or here:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

Lastly Windows 10 in general. Lots of things have moved round since windows 7 and many of the settings are in new screens. Rather than go hunting through menus and similar it's usually easier to simply search for what you want. I see Bob already covered activation and RAM but the concept of searching for what you want rather than having to go and find it is very powerful and, I think, why people struggled with Windows 8 and 10's interface. Need to check your activation - Windows key ACTIV, Amount of RAM? - Windows key RAM, start Davinchi Resolve Windows key RES etc.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:06 am

Bob,

That's the download page I used. I still haven't been able to get it to work. I'm going to give up on Kindle for PC, at least at this time. Too many hours wasted on it already. Once I have gotten the book to open, which appears to be on my PC, not through the internet, it stops responding as soon as I try to navigate away from the first page. After taking a loooooong time to open all the pages. The physical book should arrive today.

I'll dig down for my computer info. Thanks for the tips on how to do it!

P
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 am

Chris,

Between your help and Bob's I think I understand. Most of it, anyway.

Thanks so much to both of you!!!!!!!!!!!!

P
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:26 am

Anyone here videoing in : vLog, Cine D, Cine V or Like 709?

I've read so much lately that it is all running together.

If I have it right, vLog is the only one of those that uses has 10 bits of dynamic range.

My camera (GH5) can only use 8 bits at 60p. So, there's no point in me buying the vLog upgrade since it works in 10 bit and I'd have to drop down to 30 frames per second to get the benefit of 10 bits of dynamic range, and I don't want to drop to 30 since I prefer to get individual wing flaps as clearly as possible. Also, if I did try to shoot vLog at 60p, would colors be 'crushed'? Does that mean muddy or noisy? ....or maybe the camera wouldn't shoot at that setting anyway?

I've made some quick clips tocompare Cine D, Cine V and Like 709. On opening the Like 709 in Resolve the program indicated a 10 bit workspace. That has to be a glitch, right?

I've read that Cine D is good for humans that have darker skin tones. That Cine V is good for humans that have more pale skin tones. Some people believe one or another or the other of these are dull, bright, saturated, unsaturated, etc. Often beliefs seem to conflict.

I don't care (much) about skin tones. I want to be able to get the most detail from light to dark in outdoor shoots that are often in deep shade and often in blinding sunlight. Ex: A shot of a frog on a creekbank. Dark down there. The leaves, moss, sticks and rocks, as well as the frog are the points of interest but it is really dark down there. What would be best to go immediately from shooting the frog to higher up, say with a white bird against the sky? (A white heron visits from time to time.) vLog?, that is, the widest dynamic range? I could see dropping to 30 fps if I were shooting weddings. Brides' whites and grooms' blacks. But I'm not shooting weddings.

Say I want to try for slow motion for birds? That would be at 120 fps and 1080p on my camera. What color space for that?

Anyone know of a math based properties list for these colors? Color space info that is not subjective?

thanks for your thoughts,

P
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Water Cooler