They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e

Talk about anything here.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 am

I have a Galxy Tab S5e on order but I need a little advice on a couple of things, please, as there are so many of these"add-ons" available.

Firstly a screen protector. Do I need one and, if so, do you have any recommendations?

Secondly a keyboard/case. In the UK Samsung's own keyboard/case is an eye watering UK£119 (approx USD$150). There are third party keyboard/cases at around UK£30 (approx USD$40).

For both items there are very many listed on Amazon and but it is becoming increasingly difficut to rely on Amazon's "user feedback/recommendations" as a large proportion appear to be false.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:25 am

Hi John,

I like the Galaxy Tab S series tablets very much. I bought the Tab S3 when it first came out and I've been very happy with it.

The S3 is a little smaller (9.7") than the S5e, but has a similar cover/keyboard. I used the Samsung cover/keyboard in the store and decided it wasn't for me. Besides the cost, it was just too small of a keyboard -- too cramped to touch type. With the size of my hands, I wouldn't have gained much over the on screen keypad. The Samsung keypad connects with the tablet through contacts on the edge of the tablet. There is a magnet on the edge of the cover that holds the tablet in the correct position for the keyboard to attach. Not sure if the S5e works the same way as it's slightly thinner, but I suspect it does -- the photos look the same. I don't use a keyboard/cover so I can't recommend one. It's best if you can actually look at one in a store and see how it feels.

You can get a basic standard cover at a much more reasonable price. I don't use the cover at home, but, I will use the cover if I want to take it with me somewhere as a little added protection. I do not use a screen protector and have never had a problem with screen abrasions and I use my tablet every day.
Bob

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:16 am

I also have a Samsung tablet. Although it is not the model mentioned in the above posts, it is a touch screen 12 inch tablet and I have been using it every day for 5 years or so and no scratches on the screen yet. So you could probably forgo the screen protector. I use a Logitech cover/keyboard and it pairs by bluetooth and work pretty good and has large keys.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:03 pm

My S3 uses Gorilla Glass in the display. That's hardened and scratch resistent. I couldn't find the spec for the S5e, but I would expect that it would too.

Now that treetops mentions it, Logitect is a reputable company and makes some excellent keyboards. I haven't looked at the keyboard/covers though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Many thanks Bob and Treetops. Based on your helpful advice I'll forget the screen cover but I will take a look at the Logitech keyboard/cover. :TU:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Water Cooler