They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Advice needed for video software

Talk about anything here.

Advice needed for video software

Postby DanInDC » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Hello all, I am new to this forum and thought I'd seek some guidance. I am new to video editing and reasonably computer proficient, and want to learn more about video editing. Our company is going to be shooting (on an ongoing basis) videos of our employees talking about certain topics. 3-5 minutes, tops, with 3-4 key take-aways. To enhance the videos, we would like to have text on the screen that appears when we are talking about the take-aways. So, for example, when I talk about topic 1, it the text of the take-away would fade onto the screen. When I talk about topic 2, that text would appear under topic 2 (would also fade onto the screen, similar to how PowerPoint is done). I have Premiere Elements 2019, but can't find a way to do that. I'm wondering if I need to be using a full version of Premiere, or if there's another software that is fairly easy for these types of instructional videos. Any advice? Thank you in advance.
DanInDC
New User
New User

Re: Advice needed for video software

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 pm

All video editing software has a bit of a learning curve regardless of manufacturer. If cost is an issue then DaVinci Resolve 15 is a pretty awesome program that is free.

You have Adobe Premiere Elements which is also pretty full featured so I would suggest that you use that to create. Steve's books are very easy to understand and pretty through in all aspects learning to get the most out of the program

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:09 pm

DanInDC wrote: I have Premiere Elements 2019, but can't find a way to do that.

:meet: Welcome to Muvipix.
That can certainly be done easily using keyframes on the opacity in the expert mode.
There is probably a tutorial for that on Muvipix. I'll try to find a link t it for you.
Peru

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Peru

Postby DanInDC » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you all, so far, and for the links to the videos.
DanInDC
New User
New User

Postby Ron » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Welcome, Dan!
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:49 am

:meet:

...and don't forget to acquire Steve's book on Premiere Elements. It really is the "missing user manual".

https://www.amazon.com/Muvipix-com-Guid ... way&sr=8-5
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:22 am

Your description sounds a bit like you're describing PowerPoint. And, if you're going to be discussing live what's happening on-screen, PowerPoint is the way to go -- it's main advantage being that you can stop and go at whatever pace you need.

Video editors like Premiere Elements aren't the best tool for creating media that you stop and discuss every couple of minutes. Video is meant to be played through.

Is interacting with what's on-screen your primary need?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DanInDC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks, Steve. I thought about PowerPoint but I'd like to have a video of myself speaking on a topic, and use the text to reinforce what I'm talking about. For example, if I'm talking about "3 tips on how to improve your resume" I would want the text (as a quick summary) to appear on part of the screen WHILE I'm talking about the topic. So, for example, if I'm talking for 30 or 40 seconds about the benefits of Garamond font, the text would appear and say "1. Benefits of Garamond font" to help reinforce what I'm saying on video. And if my second tip was to avoid full justification, and I discuss that for 30 or 40 seconds, the text below #1 would subsequently appear and show up as "2. Avoid full justification." PowerPoint would be great if it was me talking over the presentation, but I'd like the text to enhance/reinforce what I'm speaking about on video. It's been surprisingly difficult to find a way to make bulleted lists (that are aligned) that fade in/appear in that fashion. Does the above explanation make more sense? And P.S. I bought your book and it's on my desk at work :-)
DanInDC
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 pm

If you're appearing in the video and you want the text or bullet points to appear on screen with you, any video editing program will do what you need. You just need to create a separate title for each bullet point, line them up on screen and then time them so that they appear when you want them to.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler