They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Scratch Disc set up

Talk about anything here.

Scratch Disc set up

Postby sidd finch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm

I have a friend who has asked me to help them edit a project of theirs for school. They are using a newer laptop that has an SSD drive (500GB) and an M.2 SSD drive that runs the operating system (it is also a 500GB drive)

The question is, when using Premiere Pro is it better to put the scratch disc and project files on the M.2 drive and render to the SATA SSD drive or vice versa?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Scratch Disc set up

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 pm

As far as my understanding goes...and I am happy to be corrected...

If connected via a PCI channel then the M.2 drive should be faster. If the M.2 drive is connected via a SATA channel then the M.2 and SSD drive speeds should be broadly similar.

In my system I have two M.2 SSDs (C:/ and D:/) connected via PCI channels. My general "rule of thumb" is to use my D:/ drive for all 'WIP' files and the C:/ drive for programs, swapfile space, etc.

As an aside when I was using ImgBurn recently to write DVD files to my D:/ M.2 drive before burning to optical media the write speed to the M.2 drive that I was seeing was incredible! :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Scratch Disc set up

Postby sidd finch » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks John I will try to set up the files accordingly. My friend let me create that 360 video clip and I used the 500GB SSD SATA for the scratch disc and project files. I then rendered to the M.2 SSD drive and you are right is was really really fast. The 4k 360 video only took about 2.5 minutes to create... wow

I also discovered that you can purchase a M.2 external case and use the drive through a USB 3.1 port for also fast speeds. This M.2 is a pretty cool SSD.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler