They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ephemeral Video

Talk about anything here.

Ephemeral Video

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 am

from the Videomaker website:

With fast-moving news feeds on Facebook and live videos that disappear once they have concluded on Instagram, viewers are being trained to watch videos as they are available or risk missing out entirely. The trend may have started with the inherently ephemeral nature of videos posted to Snapchat, but it has since spread across platforms. For instance, in addition to the live video feature, Instagram also encourages the use of ephemeral video via Instagram Stories. Like Stories on Snapchat, these casual images and videos disappear 24 hours after being published. Not coincidentally, Stories also offer a rare opportunity to attach a link directly to your image or video on Instagram. Getting users to your website requires a clumsy workaround when posting to the main Instagram feed.

Ephemeral content has several advantages over video made to be viewed over the course of months or even years, especially in the eyes of marketers. The fleeting nature of this type of content means that viewers are more likely to take immediate action based on what they see. These videos also typically feel more personal, both because of the delivery method and because they are often less polished than more traditional video content.

No longer is shelf-life a primary concern. These videos are not expected to be viewed more than a few days after they are published, so the traditional rules to making a project look timeless simply don’t apply. In fact, attaching a specific date to your video may actually highlight its relevance and make it seem more timely to viewers looking for specific information on current events or a recent news announcement.

In many ways, this rise in ephemeral video content mirrors the increasing appetite for fleeting text content. Demand for lightweight video produced on tight deadlines will also increase as video continues to replace or complement text in many applications. Bloggers and journalist, however, are already in the mindset that their work is created to serve a specific purpose and will eventually no longer be relevant. Many video producers are not. The reporter doesn’t get wistful over past news stories, and nor should the videographer producing content for social media.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Ephemeral Video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:42 am

Remember when there used to be book collections of great letters to and from famous people? The age of e-mail has ended all that.

Do long-time couples still save their old love letters?

And what about photo albums and scrapbooks of the kids when they were babies?

One hard drive crash and a lifetime of pictures and correspondence is lost.

Or maybe, in the age of Snapchat, it's all as disposable as a Bic razor.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:55 pm

I don't think that the current generation cares much about archiving significant (or even simple) events.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 pm

I think that the days like that are going quickly. We are overwhelmed with a volume of static that obscures the really important things in life.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:32 pm

Peru wrote:I don't think that the current generation cares much about archiving significant (or even simple) events.

sidd finch wrote:I think that the days like that are going quickly. We are overwhelmed with a volume of static that obscures the really important things in life.

I think many of us here at Muvipix share and agree with these observations . We're a dying breed. :(
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 pm

I kind of thing that everything is important and people are taking photos and video of every possible life event, meaningful or not. Then those photos and videos are automatically uploaded to Google Photos, Microsoft One Drive or Google Drive and archived. I get interesting messages from Google Photos about what happened on this day 6 years ago, I can then post that immediately to Facebook or Instagram. Today as far as I can see, everything and anything is recorded and photographed. It is now too easy and too cheap, what is really different is that in times past it used to cost something, that is not the case anymore. Just my opinion ::C
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:50 am

With the smart phones recording video it is no longer something of value. The attention spans have gotten shorter too. I'll keep making my 3 minute edited vignettes for the grands. Hopefully they will see the value later or at least remember me and the fun we had making little "moobies". We attended the 2 grands Christmas program and this year I didn't take any cameras. Afterwards the oldest did ask if I got video. Felt sorta bad, but her mom did get some on her cell phone.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I agree with all of the above, but I do feel that video done well is still unique and of value. I equate the difference between eating fast food and eating at a nice restaurant. There seems to still be an aspiration for a video done well.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:41 pm

sidd finch wrote:I agree with all of the above, but I do feel that video done well is still unique and of value. I equate the difference between eating fast food and eating at a nice restaurant. There seems to still be an aspiration for a video done well.

I agree that there are those that appreciate quality video and find it to be of value, but they’re out of the mainstream and not representative of most of the population - a niche, if you will. I know that in our family there’s no one (other than myself) who seems to care about or have time for anything greater than cellphone video. It’s as if there’s no awareness that any other options exist, or ever did, or that they have any merit.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:35 pm

I know that in our family there’s no one (other than myself) who seems to care about or have time for anything greater than cellphone video.

But do they at least appreciate your effort when they watch it?

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler