They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Has it really come to this.... Vertical Video

Talk about anything here.

Has it really come to this.... Vertical Video

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:52 am

Is it even possible to fathom an advocate of vertical video... I am biting my tongue even as I write this (and darnit it hurts.....my tongue :oops: )

For a long time, vertical video meant the recorder was either lazy or uninformed. It was seen as evidence that someone didn’t know the most basic rules of video production. Vertically recorded videos were grainy and poorly framed. They were videos that captured a fight behind the gym after school or a jerky shot of a concert that consisting mostly of the back of someone’s head, flashing lights and some inaudible screaming. They weren’t exactly flattering examples of vertical video.

Here here I agree.... but wait what???? :conf:

But when video is produced for consumption on social media, filming in a vertical perspective is an increasingly legitimate option. You don’t have to film in a vertical perspective, but writing off a video simply because it’s using a nontraditional aspect ratio ignores the changing landscape of video production and sharing.

But now, when more people own smartphones than desktop computers, it might be time to realize that maybe vertical video isn’t just the tool of the lazy and uninformed.

Are the heavens shaking or am I just pounding to hard on my computer... :ha:

It’s not just smaller hobbyists producing vertical content. Music videos, in particular, have been quick to capitalize on non-traditional aspect ratios. Kendrick Lamar’s 2015 hit “King Kunta” was recorded in 1:1. Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj have all released vertical versions alongside more traditional music videos. YouTube now includes vertically-shot advertisements for mobile devices. Even Netflix has embraced vertical video, featuring vertical previews of shows that play when browsing the platform on a phone or tablet.

Link to full article: https://www.videomaker.com/opinion/opin ... cal-video/

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Has it really come to this.... Vertical Video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am

Upright video to me has all the cinematic thrills of looking through a keyhole.

But oh well. Nobody ever said progress always led to improvement.

After all, we've evolved into a people who speak into a device the will turn our words into text and send a message rather than just placing a phone call and speaking directly to a person.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:50 pm

I'm hoping vertical video just a fad.

Part of the problem is that clothing manufacturers have refused to change the aspect ratio of their pockets. ;)
Peru

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:04 pm

If we watch and, for some of us, record most of our content on phones, what is the problem with vertical video?

The problem is that it doesn't stay on the phone and isn't viewed exclusively on phones. Even if you never share with others, do you ever want to view it on your (horizontal) HDTV? Want to have your video of that breaking news story shown on TV (again, vertical on horizontal format) ? Do you post on YouTube or other sites where it can be viewed (on horizontal screens) by computers or an app on your smart TV or Roku?

Clearly, there are situations where a landscape perspective is preferred. In a professionally-produced video, horizontal ensures your video can be viewed optimally on as many devices as possible.

Amen!

For a long time, vertical video meant the recorder was either lazy or uninformed...But now, when more people own smartphones than desktop computers, it might be time to realize that maybe vertical video isn’t just the tool of the lazy and uninformed.

Talk about your non sequiturs! Just because you use a phone doesn't mean you have to record vertical video. If your phone's rotation lock is on, unlock it. Flick that wrist... go on, you can do it...

It appears that lazy or uninformed is still an issue.

Knowing that many people don't bother to turn their phones, many companies are producing vertical video and ads targeting social media. And, that's certainly legitimate and makes good business sense. But, it's kind of a Chicken and Egg thing.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Kodak had a line of pocket cameras that always recorded in landscape mode even if the camera was in the vertical position. Other manufacturers could do the same with their cameras. Some phones have options to lock the orientation. How about no matter what angle you hold the camera, it always records in a certain aspect ratio and angle -- by way of a miniature gimble inside the phone where the sensor rotates.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:07 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:Kodak had a line of pocket cameras that always recorded in landscape mode even if the camera was in the vertical position. Other manufacturers could do the same with their cameras.

I can just imagine the objections to that if there was not an option to turn it off.
It is a good idea, though.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Peru wrote:
RJ Johnston wrote:Kodak had a line of pocket cameras that always recorded in landscape mode even if the camera was in the vertical position. Other manufacturers could do the same with their cameras.

I can just imagine the objections to that if there was not an option to turn it off.
It is a good idea, though.

Actually, the Kodak pocket camera was suppose to be held vertically. If you held it horizontally, the video would be landscape, but the ground would be on one side of the short ends. It worked like a regular camera, except it looked like a smart phone. I used two of them for 3D stuff.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chris B » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Humans are taller than they are wide.

Not in my case.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:46 pm

:hyst:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm

pretty good Chris... lol

Where I work some e-mails come through as being formatted for vertical viewing when read from a computer...

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chris B » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 am

Some hastily gathered numbers.

Worldwide PC shipments 2018 : ~ 270 Million (4 X 3rd quarter from Gartner)
Worldwide TV Shipments 2018 : ~ 218 Million (IHS Markit estimate)
Worldwide Smartphone Shipments 2018 : 1.4 Billion (IDC - "Worst Year Ever" for Smartphone shipments - down 4%)

Yes - TVs and PCs last longer than phones - but given a 2 year lifespan of a phone that's 13 years of TV shipments (I think).
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:49 am

Chris B wrote:...IDC - "Worst Year Ever" for Smartphone shipments - down 4%...

Maybe I am out of sync with the world but I (and quite a lot of folk that I know) are still using older phones (a Samsung Galaxy S4 in my case) and similar venerable Apple handsets.

My S4 does all that I want/need it to do but I might replace it when the UK roll out of 5G has gained some traction.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:56 pm

I had a Note 2 until yesterday and finally upgraded. I was tired of some of my favorite apps not being updated or able to run anymore. I can't believe how slow my old phone was compared to the new one, it is amazing. It takes me half the time to check email and other things on my phone now.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler