They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Font Editors

Talk about anything here.

Font Editors

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 pm

There are several FREE font editors listed here:

https://www.thefreecountry.com/utilitie ... tors.shtml

Anyone know anything about any of them? Safe to download, etc.?

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Font Editors

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 am

I can't vouch for any of these editors, Paz.

I generally use my fonts right out of the box.

But I do know that Adobe Illustrator is also capable of customizing and creating font sets, if you have that.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:39 pm

If you have Windows 10, there is the Private Character Editor. It's at this location: C:\Windows\System32\eudcedit.exe
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks, guys. Sorry I'm so late to respond.

Steve, if I do have Illustrator, it's going to be really old. I haven't had it installed on at least my last three machines. Interesting to hear that it is capable of editing existing fonts. What I'd really like to do is create my own and then have some way of getting programs, like Word, Photoshop, After Effects, etc., be able to use them as text.

RJ, I still have 7. It has something that sounds like what you're saying 10 has. I've tried it out. I will not work with my pen/tablet, which I use to 'draw' on the computer, so I'm looking for something cheap, or free, that will.

I understand the best font creator programs run around $600. I can buy a LOT of other folks' fonts for that!

Thanks again, and again, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Things are a zoo around here!
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 am

Paz_Pazzaz wrote:...What I'd really like to do is create my own (fonts)...

https://www.alphr.com/blogs/2014/01/14/ ... nto-a-font
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:38 am

Here's another free font creator, Font Forge:

https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/downloads/windows/

Haven't tried creating any fonts yet. I just installed it.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks, guys!

RJ, I've just looked at FontForge. I don't know flip about computer languages. Free is great but that one looked like it would fly over my head so fast I wouldn't know what missed me! C++ vs Python? I think I'm going to keep trying to get English (Southern USA version) right.

Good luck with it. Please, do let us see what you come up with!!

Two Sheds,

This looks easy and um, perfect for what I'd like to try to do. $8 per month for the Pro version, with a $24 fee for an additional 6 months, if you want it, seems fair to me. I do prefer to buy rather than rent, but it looks like subscription is the way things are going... and I'd much rather pay for a product than get viruses and bugs for free. I ran some 'review' and 'scam' searches on Google and came up with only good things.

I've been on the lookout for something like this for a long time. I'm going to try it. Probably the free version first. If I like what I can do with it, then I'll go for the full, Pro version.

Thanks so much to both of you.

Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Paz,

Regarding Font Forge, you don't need to know C++ or any other programming language. That's if you want to help develop the application. All you have to do is download and install the FF application already to use. But there is a learning curve, which I'm not taking either.

If you have an android phone, there is an app named Fonty that lets you draw the characters. You share the true type font by sending it to your email address. That's free, and really fast to complete.

There's an app for iPhone named iFontMaker for $6.99.

Rob
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Rob,

Thank you for the correction and clarification. Here's the page that made it all look overwhelming to me:

http://fontforge.github.io/en-US/faq/

I've just been back to take another look and saw lots of helpful information that I'm sure was there, but I overlooked it before. I'll be looking at it again. My understanding of fonts is limited but I know enough to know that things like variable spaces between letters can make a world of difference in whether a font looks good or not, even to whether it is legible or not. In effect, there is a language of terms that have meaning in regard to fonts and this time I looked longer and saw that a lot of that type of information is there. Good to know.

Thanks for the phone tips too.

Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler