They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SanDisk’s fastest 1TB portable SSD is on sale

Talk about anything here.

SanDisk’s fastest 1TB portable SSD is on sale

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:44 am

SanDisk’s fastest 1TB portable SSD is on sale on Amazon now

The SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD isn’t just SanDisk’s fastest portable SSD ever, it’s also the company’s best portable SSD ever. Considering SanDisk’s pedigree, you know that’s saying a lot. This lightweight external drive supports blistering fast read speeds of up to 550 MB/s — that’s megaBYTES, not megabits, by the way. It’s a bargain at $350, but it’s on sale right now on Amazon at its lowest price ever, just $199.49!

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: SanDisk’s fastest 1TB portable SSD is on sale

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:32 pm

I hate to say it, but I've thought about it a lot and as much as I'd love to have one I really don't need one. Never stopped me before....I must be getting old. :conf:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 pm

I am kind of on the fence too. I am really wanting to transfer over my video to SSD but it just seems like a huge amount of effort.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Seems like we are all fence sitters. :-D

The march of technology, at least as far as consumer takeup is concerned, appears to have slowed. :(

CPU technology hasn't really changed so much - yes, I know that now there are more cores/threads - but until Ryzen came out there seemed to be a little stagnation on the Intel front.

Then there is the march of SSDs - but there is also a significant price premium over spinners. Ditto NVME over SATA SSD.

From a UK perspective the imminent onset of 5G will greatly increase available bandwidth but, unless the fibre roll out starts offering 10GBE to the premises, will fibre be dead before it has been widely adopted? (I suspect 5G pricing might slow down the rate of its take up).

Over the last two years we have had 802.11ad but, so far, few devices.

Lots of tech opportunities but I am not seeing huge takeup, only early adopters rather than mainstream consumers.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:54 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Then there is the march of SSDs - but there is also a significant price premium over spinners. Ditto NVME over SATA SSD.

That's for sure. Even at the discounted price we're talking 3 or 4 times the cost, depending on where you're purchasing in the mechanical hard drive lineup (WD blue, green, black, red). I did spring for an SSD boot drive a while back, which gave new life to my older computer - went from a 5 minute boot time to about 100 seconds. But just too much expense in SSDs for storing video. Considering that they've been around for a while now I'm surprised that the price hasn't dropped more than it has. Of course prices have been continually dropping on standard hard drives, too - more storage for less money.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:46 am

Of course prices have been continually dropping on standard hard drives, too - more storage for less money.

My biggest concern is that spinning hard drives "Will-Fail" with that mind set it seems like its just a matter of time. SSD is just listed as "Really Expensive" but I do not see too much about a guaranteed fail... It is also the phantom game of speed... What was acceptable at 1 minute wait time is now an outrage that it took 10 seconds to do the same thing. There is an ongoing battle in my head to put some rational behind the desire for everything to be instantaneous.

Lots of tech opportunities but I am not seeing huge takeup, only early adopters rather than mainstream consumers.

John sometime it appears that certain sectors are driving innovation to other areas of the tech world. The company that has the fastest SSD drive pushes the CPU company to design to take advantage of their speed... Almost a vicious circle. I guess that is why there are so many Tech companies that have board members from different market segments, and there are the tech graveyard websites that we can stroll down memory lane and remember the antique Tech. Like the iPhone 5 that is ancient at 18 months.... :hyst:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:I hate to say it, but I've thought about it a lot and as much as I'd love to have one I really don't need one. Never stopped me before....I must be getting old. :conf:

Dave you just said exactly what I was thinking :CS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:25 pm

sidd finch wrote:My biggest concern is that spinning hard drives "Will-Fail" with that mind set it seems like its just a matter of time. SSD is just listed as "Really Expensive" but I do not see too much about a guaranteed fail...

Nothing lasts forever. All drives, spinning or SSD, are guaranteed to fail. And some, even SSDs, will fail early in their "expected" lifespan even though the mean time between failure rate may lead one to think otherwise. It's only an average.

It is also the phantom game of speed... What was acceptable at 1 minute wait time is now an outrage that it took 10 seconds to do the same thing. There is an ongoing battle in my head to put some rational behind the desire for everything to be instantaneous.

Absolutely! In the 90s I remember having at work a very primitive HP computer with an external 8 inch floppy disk drive. Insert disk, execute load command, grind, grind, grind....in a few minutes it was ready to run a program. But before this machine we were using one that used punch cards! Now we were operating at computer speed! It's all relative. :hyst:

Dave McElderry

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm

If it's an external drive, then it will have to have USB3 connection to connect to my computer. The transfer speed from the SSD to the computer is going to be limited by the USB connection, won't it? Will having the external 1 TB SSD make much difference, or would I rather have an external 5000 rpm 8 TB HD for $120? Anyway, I think I need a more powerful computer first.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:59 pm

If it's an external drive, then it will have to have USB3 connection to connect to my computer.

Excellent point USB 3.0 is the secret. I have been using it and it is a huge advantage. I even connected a 5400rpm drive to an external USB 3.0 case and it was really quick. I guess I am not sure if saving for posterity is really even worth the effort. I keep thinking the kids might really enjoy this stuff but so far there is only limited interest in the finished videos. But I have reams and reams of video. Agggh the thought of it.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:48 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:The march of technology, at least as far as consumer takeup is concerned, appears to have slowed. :(

If my assertion is correct, could the perceived slowdown be because (in general terms) the computers that we presently have are 'good enough'?'
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 am

If my assertion is correct, could the perceived slowdown be because (in general terms) the computers that we presently have are 'good enough'?'

I think ti's more that people got a home personal computer because they wanted to send emails, and browse the web. A desktop computer with Windows was far to general purpose - and far to complicated - for that and they have now returned to being a "niche" market. Most people's personal computers are now portable, have flash based storage, touch-screens, ARM processors, always on internet connections and run a Unix like operating systems...

Oh -and that sandisk is a bit slow by modern standards. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product :)
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Return to Water Cooler