They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Resolve 15 Released.

Talk about anything here.

Resolve 15 Released.

Postby Chris B » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:44 pm

A couple of weeks ago DaVinci Resolve 15 was released. Again there's a free version and a studio version for $299. The big change this time is that Fusion effects package has been included as part of the software. Whereas this can be used to add effects Blackmagic have also used it to provide a new titler. I've rendered some of the standard templates that come with it below. These are all editable as real fusion objects so can be changed and extended.

As before the system requirements are high with 16GB being the recommended minimum memory. What I don't like is that they've not marked the "studio only" feature in the program as they did in V14 - instead you get a popup when you try to use them - however with Fusion built in you can use some of it's effects (e.g. sharpen) to get round some of the restrictions in Resolve. I'm going to try and use it for a short "real" video and see how it works out.

Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: Resolve 15 Released.

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Those are nice. Did you have to do any keyframing?

A while back I tried Resolve, but I have only 8 GB memory with Intel HD graphics. Performance wasn't good.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chris B » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:39 pm

No key framing - they are standard templates included with it. Obviously each of the titles has keyframes - any they are available to be fiddled with if you want - but you don't need to if you just want to use the standard effect. The interface is actually quite nice as they've brought most of the important stuff (colours, fonts, etc.) into the main page but you can go and change anything you like behind the scenes.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:24 pm

We've just finished watching the 5 year series "Damages", starring Glen Close and Rose Byrne, William Hurt, John Goodman, Dylan Baker, Ryan Phillippe, Martin Short, Lily Tomlin.... the list goes on. Mainly starring Glen close and Rose Byrne.

Couldn't help but notice (with some degree of envy, I suppose) how Glen Close's face appeared pretty much wrinkle free and glowed in so many scenes. Today I came across the vid below on YouTube demonstrating facial editing in DaVinci Resolve.

If my PrePro or After Effects CS6 is capable of doing this, I didn't know it.

(I think this particular demo went a bit too far. Unfortunately it appears that to remove the crows' feet shadows he lost too much detail in the face making it look strange overall, but I'm guessing selecting that area for wrinkle reduction first, then the remainder of the face later may have been a better way to go - assuming it could have been done that way.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YUHLRYHR50
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler