They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What is OpenDVD?

Talk about anything here.

What is OpenDVD?

Postby Bobby » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 pm

I am now trying to organize all of the files that I did back in the early part of this decade. I am finding some DVD image folders that can't be opened by VLC and have a folder structure with a video_ts folder but also has an OpenDVD folder.

I don't remember what OpenDVD was, except that it might be some kind of editable DVD format. What is it, and how did I master those files. I was only using PE10 and DVD Architect Studio 5.

A mystery for my old brain...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: What is OpenDVD?

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 pm

The OpenDVD folder is created by the DVD authoring software library that Adobe uses in Premiere Elements and it's created when you burn a DVD or create a DVD image on your drive. The purpose of the folder was to provide a way to re-master or edit the DVD without needing the original project or authoring software. It never really caught on and there were few programs that were able to actually use it. It's not necessary for normal DVD playback and the folder can be safely deleted.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks Bob. Kinda what I thought. But the mystery is why VLC refused to play those images. That is how I found out; I was playing successive images until it started failing. I will test some more.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:40 am

I normally delete the OpenDVD folder, but, I looked through my old DVD images and found one that still had the OpenDVD folder. It played fine in VLC.

Did VLC give you any messages?

Try deleting the OpenDVD folder and see if that makes a difference.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:59 am

HI Bob - thanks for the help!

I erased the OpenDVD folder and VLC then played it fine.

Well, it's interesting. There are no error messages when I try to" VLC Open Folder" to the folder containing both the OpenDVD folder and the video_ts folder. It just doesn't play, although one time (not always) I saw a moving yellow bar in the VLC progress bar.

Another odd behavior of VLC (I checked and do have the latest version) is that when I tried to erase other OpenDVD frolders after trying to play them, Windows said I couldn't erase as the folder was in use by VLC. But VLC was not running at the time. I checked the Task Manager and couldn't find a VLC task or service running but perhaps I didn't recognize the name. Odd...

Edit: Further info. Yes, I found the VLC task running in Task Manager. It seems that when VLC is trying to process the OpenDVD folders, it doesn't play but uses up a LOT of CPU time trying to do something. Even if you click X to terminate VLC, the window closes but the task continues to run and suck up CPU. This behavior only happens on OpenDVD folders - when playing "regular" DVD image folders, VLC plays fine and exit as appropriate.

Well, I am just going to delete all the OpenDVD folders and make sure none are created.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler