They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hello and A Question

Talk about anything here.

Phase One Complete

Postby Bobby » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 am

I am done scanning in the old tapes. 19 tapes and 220 GB (times 3 counting backups). Phase 2 is reorganization of all video files.

I am considering getting a camera as the old tape/FireWire units obviously can't be used any more.

Recommendations?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Hello and A Question

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Any of the Canon or Nikon DSLRs are great, can't go wrong with either brand in my opinion. This is pretty good info
https://www.techradar.com/news/photogra ... and-944543
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:17 am

Sorry, Chuck, I asked the wrong question. I have DSLRs sitting in the closet unused. I was thinking of just a mid-$500 video camera for family use. Thanks...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:21 am

Canon is most likely the go to brand. Sony has some nice cameras.

IMO right now the price jump is when you are deciding if you want 4k capabilities. Having 4k increases the price. The other think I would look at is the format that is used to record. There are starting to be cameras that record in the HEVC format (H.265) which allows for capture of large video content, such as 4K60 and 1080p240, at roughly half the file size with equivalent image quality of the more ubiquitous H.264 format.

While this is good for the SD card file size it makes editing difficult on a computer that is not very robust. Adoption for this new standard is increasing, and is natively supported on Android™ 5.0+ and iOS™ 11 on newer phones and tablets with more powerful processors. Moreover, HEVC is natively supported on Windows® 10 and MacOS® High Sierra on newer desktop computers with more powerful processors.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:32 am

The video with a DSLR in my opinion is far better than most of the consumer level video cameras out there these days. Why use anything other than the DSLRs?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks Sidd, good info!

Chuck, I understand. It's a matter of usability by my wife. Her Nikon DSLR gathers dust as it is too complicated for her to use. Also, price is a factor, being an old man now on fixed income! Thanks!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Why use anything other than the DSLRs?

Chuck, it comes down to usability and convenience. I can get better print quality from a 4x5 negative than I can with a 35mm SLR/DSLR. But, I don't want to lug a 4x5 camera around unless I have a good reason to do so (full disclosure: I do own a 4x5 camera). ;) Same with the DSLR. It's bulky and heavy compared to a smartphone or camcorder. I love my DSLR and what you can do with it, but I bought a camcorder specifically for recording family events because I didn't want to always lug the heavier camera around. Also, the camcorder is less obtrusive than the DSLR. Everyone notices the DSLR and doesn't act natural. The camcorder is generally not noticed or quickly forgotten. :) Also, the amount of time I can continuously record is longer with the camcorder than the DSLR. One other advantage, my consumer grade camcorder has a larger zoom ratio than any DSLR zoom lens I own. :-D The best video camera is the one you have with you -- when those spontaneous things happen with the grandchildren, it's easy to pull out the smartphone and shoot. I'd miss it any other way. I'm sure you can think of other reasons. :-D

Bobby, Canon, Panasonic, and Sony all make HD consumer camcorders in the $300-500 range. If you want 4K, you'll pay more. Features vary and the camcorders do operate differently. Some may be easier to use than others. So do yourself a favor and visit a store where you can hold them in your hand and try them out before you buy.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:17 pm

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:15 am

Just as an addendum to the above conversation regarding cancelling a Vimeo pay-for account...
I just received a notice that my Plus is going to auto renew next month so as an experiment I decided to see what happens if I disable auto-renew. At the next screen I got a warning that "If you turn off auto-renew, you will lose this video:" showing a video which I have posted that's over 5GB in size. I believe it's the only one that I have that's over 5GB. So not maintaining that Plus membership would result in the loss of the larger videos.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks Dave. Mine were all big so that may explain it.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PE Versions

Postby Bobby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:45 pm

On to the next phase.

I opened an existing .prel with the only version of PE that I have installed on the new PC - PE10. I recall that I had installed PE10 just before I started my hiatus, but probably hadn't used it much. But I would have expected it to open projects made with earlier versions, although I do recall some issues there.

Anyhow, I opened an old project and it found the files OK and showed them in the project window. But the Timeline was blank, and all the editing work, titles, etc. were gone. Is this a compatibility issue and to correct would I have to install the version of PE that the project was created with?

I have a lot to re-learn!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: PE Versions

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Bobby wrote:On to the next phase.

Is this a compatibility issue and to correct would I have to install the version of PE that the project was created with?

Very likely so, especially if it was several versions back.

Although I stopped using Premiere Elements at version 3.0.1 (I now use Premiere Pro CC),I find that when reviving old projects, I end up redoing them from scratch because of what I've learned since creating the project.
Peru

Postby Bobby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks Peru. That makes sense, except that there was a LOT of time devoted to making those old projects!

But I really don't have a burning requirement to re-edit any of my old projects, just attempting to preserve the capability if I do need it.

I did install PE7 (the last version I had before 10) and it installed OK but when opening the project it wanted me to go to an adobe website to verify the .m2t decoder. The site would return a code which I would then paste into a PE window. Well, that website is no longer valid.

This may be an exercise in futility - you can go forward but you can't go back!

Edit: Well, perhaps not toooo bad. I was able to open an earlier project which used .avi file input and it opened fine and the timeline was all there. I did perhaps only 1 or 2 full projects with .m2t files, so that is not too much of a loss.

Actually as I remember back, I was quite comfortable with PE7.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:02 am

Bobby, also depending on your comfort level you could always use your smartphone as a camcorder. I have been trying to use my smartphone with a handheld brushless 3 axis gimbal and the video comes out really smooth.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bobby » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:45 am

I agree Sidd. My wife has made the transition to doing all photos and videos with her iPhone7 and is happy with the results. (I am not so sanguine but it's her choice.)

Back to my video setup, I need to do a short video for a memorial to my wife's sister who passed recently. I was able to get PE10 running, find the files, do the project, and export to both DVD and .mp4 for viewing on our iPads. I guess the chops don't fall far from the tree, to mix a few metaphors.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler