They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2019
Not quite sure what our site has to offer?
Check out the
Muvipix Video Tour

Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Talk about anything here.

Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Is it true that I place this Source in the external drive holder and the Target in the Source's position inside the laptop?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
User avatar
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Postby Peru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 am

The source is where you are reading from.
The target is where you are writing to.

To make a clone of the internal drive on an external drive
:
The source is the internal drive.
The target is the external drive.

To copy the clone from an external drive to the internal drive:
The source is the external drive.
The target is the internal drive.

Can you clarify what you are doing?
User avatar
Peru
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Peru, NY, USA

Re: Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:34 am

Peru wrote:The source is where you are reading from.
The target is where you are writing to.

To make a clone of the internal drive on an external drive
:
The source is the internal drive.
The target is the external drive.

To copy the clone from an external drive to the internal drive:
The source is the external drive.
The target is the internal drive.

Can you clarify what you are doing?


A tech at Fry's advised that, to assure that I will be able to boot from the target drive, it should be mounted internally in the laptop, and the source drive should be run from the external location during the cloning process.

"It's different from cloning a desktop drive," she said, "in which case both drives are mounted internally."
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
User avatar
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Postby Peru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:54 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
A tech at Fry's advised that, to assure that I will be able to boot from the target drive, it should be mounted internally in the laptop, and the source drive should be run from the external location during the cloning process.
That's not how I did it when I replaced a hard drive in an HP laptop. I did have to use the Windows Repair Disc to make it bootable.
"It's different from cloning a desktop drive," she said, "in which case both drives are mounted internally."
I'm not sure that is correct.
User avatar
Peru
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Peru, NY, USA

Re: Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Peru wrote:
George Tyndall wrote:
A tech at Fry's advised that, to assure that I will be able to boot from the target drive, it should be mounted internally in the laptop, and the source drive should be run from the external location during the cloning process.
That's not how I did it when I replaced a hard drive in an HP laptop. I did have to use the Windows Repair Disc to make it bootable.
"It's different from cloning a desktop drive," she said, "in which case both drives are mounted internally."
I'm not sure that is correct.


I had to give up on cloning for the following reason: my one good drive, although bootable, has some defects that prevent it from being cloned.

However, the good news is that, by instructing Acronis to ignore bad sectors while creating a backup on an external HDD, I was able to successfully use that backup to create multiple bootable drives -- four in all, in addition to the Source -- for my two laptops.

Of interest, in order to create that backup, support had me a) install the Acronis 2018 program and b) use it rather than 2018 Rescue Media to successfully create the backup.

Kudos to the Acronis reps, who refused to give up until I'd been successful -- I'm estimating a total of 7 hours on the phone (they would make appointments to call me) since the last time I posted.

::CLAP:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
User avatar
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Postby Peru » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 am

It's nice to hear about good tech support. We so often only hear about the bad experiences.
User avatar
Peru
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Peru, NY, USA

Re: Question re cloning internal HDD of a laptop

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Peru wrote:It's nice to hear about good tech support. We so often only hear about the bad experiences.


I talked to 3 different reps -- all are based in New Delhi, India, but the phone connection was perfect.

There is also the option to chat.

BTW, Acronis 2018 also allegedly offers the option to clone to an external HDD while one is working and then boot from it later, but I don't see anything about that in the 197 pages of documentation. I see that only on the "What's new" page on the website.

:conf:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
User avatar
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, California


Return to Water Cooler 


Similar topics


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron