They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My printer stopped working.

Talk about anything here.

My printer stopped working.

Postby Peru » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:56 pm

My HP D5160 printer started its weird behavior by randomly disconnecting the UBS connection to the computer. At first I thought it was a USB hub problem, so I spent some time switching around cables. That didn't work.

Then I suspected a computer problem, but the printer subsequently started flashing warning lights of varied kinds (power, cartridge, etc.), so I replaced the cartridges. It worked OK, but only for a couple of hours and was back to the USB disconnection problem.

I shut it down, disconnected the power and USB and held in the power button for 30 seconds. I reconnected USB and power and it worked for a day. Then the power button wouldn't stop flashing. :pull:

I wanted to salvage the printer, as it is used to print on DVDs as well as paper and photo paper. I really didn't want to spend a lot of money on a printer just to print a couple of dozen discs a year, so I purchased a $30 printer just so that I could print on regular paper. I put the D5160 printer on a shelf out of the way.

I just finished a project and couldn't stand the fact that I wouldn't be able to print discs. It looks so much better when you print an attractive disc rather than write on it with a Sharpie. [Insert comment about OCD here ;) ] I decided to try disassembling the printer, as I had nothing to lose by doing so. After removing a couple of parts, I spotted a swollen capacitor on one of the circuit boards! (Remember the swollen capacitor problem with some motherboards a few years ago? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague)

Great, I found the problem. I was unable, however, to figure out how to disassemble the rest of the printer to get to the circuit board, so back on the shelf it went. Then I thought, "What if somebody asked me how to dissemble their printer"? I'd tell them to Google it.
So I found this: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Photosmart+D5160+printer+Disassembly/31410

I followed the directions, removed the board, ordered the capacitor (a better quality one than was originally used), received the capacitor, replaced it, reassembled the printer, and didn't have any leftover parts. I uninstalled the new printer's driver, reinstalled the D5160 driver (I'd removed it before installing the replacement printer), and connected the D5160. It worked! :exc:
Peru

Re: My printer stopped working.

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Well done Bob. =D> =D> =D>

I think it such a shame that we seem to live in a "throwaway rather than repair" society.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Way to go. Sounds like the sort of thing I used to enjoy doing, but don’t have the motivation for anymore. I have a Luxman audio amplifier sitting on my workbench that I’m pretty sure only needs a diode, but haven’t taken the trouble to fix because I really don’t need the amp. I’ll probably pitch it one of these days. So few people bother with fixing discreet component parts anymore. Like John said.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:17 pm

that is a good story....

YouTube is the all encompassing visual manual on how to fix something.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 am

Great job Peru! So very resourceful. When or if my printer dies I know who to call. :-D The other day the door handle to the sunroom fell off in my hand. Fortunately I was able to jam it back on to get back into the house. I then took a handle off a door in the basement to replace it. Well, for some reason it would not go back together so I did use YT and managed to get it on the door. The sunroom door is used about 20x a day to let the dogs in and out so couldn't go with out a handle.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Wow, what an awesome story Bob !! The DIY World still exists :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler